A Jealous Ardhangini

After Uma gave his approval and started supporting Suman's education, the hidden alliance pacts in Toshniwal Haveli began to shift.

Suman whole heartedly started to get along with her Kanak Bhabhisa. Kanak too in return, helped Suman with her studies. Rather, she had started tutoring an hour each day to review what both Suman and Shiv studied.

During these study sessions, Suman received a different perspective which was something that Palomi could never provide. Both Kanak and Suman would giggle at silly girly jokes while Shiv would cutely fume in annoyance. Whenever Uma would pass by, hearing the giggles, he couldn't stop a smile from creeping up on his face as well. It's good that finally Suman is able to bind with her Bhabhisa. Kanak has helped temper down Suman's anger outbursts. - Uma thought to himself seeing the positive change in Suman's demeanor.

It was in the course of one of these sessions where Suman told Kanak one of the house's well kept secrets. One that even Saras wasn't aware of.

"Bhabhisa, you know that Palomi still has a thing for Dadusa? Prior to meeting you, we all thought that Palomi would be the one to marry Dadusa. Even Maasisa knows." Suman spoke carelessly.

"Really?" Was all a surprised and suddenly taken aback Kanak was able to muster.

"Yes, remember when we first met in Ladnu Bazaar and she was trying to buy Chandan ittar? That's because she knew Dadusa likes the smell of sandalwood. He always had you in mind, but she envisioned herself as his life partner." Suman nonchalantly added.

Kanak only smiled. Her brain was processing all the info she had received. Then she began to review Palomi's behavior, how she frantically was cutting through the curtains in which both Kanak and Uma were entangled in, how she would always find ways to be near Uma. Suddenly, a feeling of insecurity came over Kanak. Palomi was the ideal wife for Uma, then how in the world did Shiv ji put her as Uma's ardhangini? Palomi would have aced that shat patni dharm test - thought Kanak to herself.

Kanak was still mulling over her thoughts while in bed. Uma sensed she looked occupied, so he gently asked her, "Kanak, is something bothering you?".

"I don't know how to say Uma... I fear you may think I'm petty." Kanak hesitated as she spoke.

"Well, I always thought you were pretty. From the first moment I laid my eyes on you. Then, after getting to know you, you were pretty from the inside as well. Definitely never petty though!"

"Well, did the thought ever cross your mind that perhaps Palomi is the embodiment of your ideal version of a wife? I mean she knows everything from dharam to your Ayurvedic practices, and can run the house." Kanak said praising Palomi in a soft whisper.

"Palomi?" Uma asked before erupting in a loud laugh which Kanak interpreted as Uma's mocking of her thoughts.

"You know it is not that funny. Rather if you look realistically, she fits your description of an ideal wife to a T" retorted Kanak.

"Ok, ok. I'll stop laughing. Seriously, where did you get that idea? Palomi is my ward. She's sought refuge under my house, and I will make romantic advances at her? That's against dharam of giving someone sanctuary." Uma firmly spoke.

Yeh aur iska dharam. Sach mein Kanak beta, tere iss Daaku Singh ka kuch nahin ho sakta. - thought Kanak to herself.

"Moreover, I have laid eyes only on one girl. The one who intoxicates my complete being with her Chandan fragrance. Even when I had not seen her, she captivated my thoughts. Now, you really think I had time to notice anyone else while trying to pinpoint my Chandan ki mehek wali?" Uma spoke as he moved closer to Kanak and inhaled her natural sandalwood scent.

Yeh Paapi Swami jitna tujhe anaari lagta hai, utna hai nahin. Sambhal ja Kanak - Another thought that crept in Kanak's mind as she tried to compose herself from Uma's flirtatious overture.

"Uma, there are two things that need to be addressed, and I am sad that they haven't been taken care of as of now. Chalo koi nahin... Palomi can no longer address me simply as Kanak. She's seeking shelter in my house, and respect has to be given on an equal footing to us both as we are a unit. So, either she calls you simply Uma, or addresses me as Kanak Bhabhisa like the rest of household help." Kanak gave a firm statement.

Uma looked at her attentively and did his best to suppress his smirk. Sach mein Bholenath, auratein jab jalti hain, toh bada hi manoranjak hota hai. Yeh chuhiya bhi poora anand de rahi hai mujhe!  Par woh galat bhi nahin hai. Palomi se baat karni hogi. I want to ensure that my wife is respected. She deserves that. - Uma thought to himself.

Kanak continued while gauging for any traces of a smile on Uma's face, "Palomi is of age. Granted we have given her shelter, but that doesn't mean we can't think of her future well being? How long will she stay as a shelter- seeker? Uma, people will think we are exploiting on the name of providing shelter. So, as per dharam, it would be good to get Palomi married? Would you not be happy seeing her with her own family and kids? Ek bhara pura parivar joh bas uska hai. Jahan woh pure haq se apne ghar ki hai, jaise main yahan hoon." Kanak completed her second thought.

Kanak's last sentence tugged at Uma's heart. If there was one thing Kanak was capable of, it was mesmerizing Uma when they both least expected it.

"And this is why you are my wife, my dear Dharampatni ji!" Uma teased Kanak.

"You have the ability to fearlessly stand up to me and correct my wrongdoings and anything I've missed. I need a life partner, not a follower." Uma continued as he gazed in Kanak's eyes. "Plus, no one can enamor me like you. Yeh Umashankar sirf tum par phisala hai Kanak Rathi Toshniwal!" Uma tries to lighten up the situation using a slang that he knew would bring a smile on Kanak's lips.

Kanak could not help smiling broadly at her stoic, orthodox thinking husband's attempt at using modern day slang along with her complete name - Kanak Rathi Toshniwal!

She could no longer keep looking at Uma's intense gaze, and shyly lowered her eyes.  "We should get some sleep, else we won't be able to wake up in Brahm muhurat" Kanak found a plausible excuse, and turned off the lights as she lay with her back to Uma.

However, unknown to them, the all omniscient Shivji was watching over them as shy smiles of contentment played on their faces.