Kanum's Phone Romance

Scenario: Kanak accepts to go to Pushkar knowing Uma will be relieved from the stress of Bal Brahmachari seeing her.

It had been a week since Kanak had been in Pushkar. Both Uma and Kanak were restless from their ends, but could not convey the same to each due to a lack of privacy when speaking on phone calls. Most of the time, they would be surrounded by family members which inhibited their conversations. They could not have their carefree talks where they teased each other or argue, but stick to basic civilities.

Uma to keep himself preoccupied, spent more time in his research apart from meditating with Bal Brahmachari. He knew that Kanak's leaving to Pushkar was on his request. He couldn't tell her how much he longed for her, but the fear of losing her because of Bal Brahmachari seeing her was too great. Sometimes he wondered when Bal Brahmachari would leave, but quickly would bury that thought. - When will Bal Brahmachari grace someone else's home? It's been over a week and a half since he's here. I wonder why Masisa didn't tell me when she had thought of inviting Bal Brahmachari. Kanak has been a week in Pushkar. I hope she doesn't think I've abandoned her. When I initially spoke about her going to Pushkar, that silly woman-child thought I was kicking her out! I miss her silliness, and I miss her. Even phone calls aren't able to quelch my desire to talk to her. All we end up talking is how's the weather and how's everyone else doing. Nobody even in this house gets that I need some privacy to talk to my wife. They just surround me to talk to their laadli Bhabhisa.

It had been a long day for Kanak. She had gone shopping with Meena Chachi, and Rani Bhabhisa. She had chaat-pakore with them, but still something felt amiss. She missed her bantering with Uma. The few times, she had called from her landline to his phone was rather formal. She couldn't open up to him like she used to when they were alone. Suddenly, she had an ingenious idea before wrapping up for the end of the day.

Uma, on his end also felt anxious. He somehow managed to occupy his day with patients, his land dealings, meditation, and listening to Masisa's talks while Palomi kept hovering around him. Soon, it was night time, when everyone retired to their bedrooms for sleeping. Uma wondered if he should make a call to Kanak on her landline. Would it be appropriate at this time to call her? But she is my wife? Is it too late? - While Uma pondered whether to call or not, the landline rang on his end.

"Hello" Uma answered in a no- nonsense voice.

"Hello Uma, it's me Kanak." Kanak replied.

"You're calling so late?" Uma asked her.

" Uma, please don't get mad at me. I bought myself a cell phone because I need to talk to you about certain things, and I can't do so from the landline in Pushkar."
Kanak spoke.

"What Kanak? You know cell phones are dangerous that. They are not good for our bodies." Uma answered.

" I know Uma. But I have a RFID protective casing to keep the phone in. I need to tell you certain things that I feel you should know." Kanak replied, and told him to jot down her number, as she didn't feel comfortable discussing it on his landline.

Uma was frustrated with Kanak's behavior. She left him no choice but to make a call the next day from a phone booth from which he knew no one would be listening to.

"Hello?" Kanak spoke as she picked up the call.

"Hello Kanak, it's me, Uma. Tell me what did you want to talk about?" Uma came straight to the point.

"Uff Uma! Tum bhi na! Bas kaam hi sujhta hai tumhein!" Kanak replied exasperated.

"Kanak, I'm calling from a PCO. It's not the most ideal situation." Uma replied calming his voice.