54 | Each Other

It's been two weeks since the fight, two weeks since I took my own brother's life. The weight of my action still hangs heavily on my mind, and it's only natural.

Killing my own flesh and blood isn't something I can just brush aside. Regret doesn't quite cover it, though. There's a strange mix of emotions within me, but changing the past isn't an option. I wandered into the backyard and settled down next to Scar.

His concerned eyes met mine. "How are you holding up?" he asked.

His gaze briefly shifted to my stomach. Scar was the only one who knew I was pregnant. He'd been checking in on me regularly ever since he found out.

"I'm managing," I replied softly.

"Are you still dealing with morning sickness?" Scar asked.

I nodded, my eyes briefly dropping to my stomach before meeting his gaze again. "I have my moments," I confessed, "mostly in the mornings, but it's not as bad as before."

He let out a sigh, running a hand through his hair. "You really should tell him soon," he urged. "You won't be able to keep it hidden for much longer."

"I know," I mumbled, my fingers fiddling with a loose thread on my shirt. "I'm just nervous, Scar. What if he doesn't take it well?"

"We've been over this, Layla," Scar said with a reassuring tone. "Besides, what makes you think he'll react badly?"

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "Because it's Xavier we're talking about, you know, the tall, tatted guy who's always brooding and killing people," I retorted.

Scar let out a warm chuckle. "He loves you, Layla, and I'm sure he'll be excited about the baby as well."

I sighed, my gaze drifting downward as I absorbed his words. "I'll tell him today, I promise."

He nodded approvingly. "Good, good."

I furrowed my brow as I thought. "By the way, where is he anyway?" I wondered aloud, realizing Xavier wasn't beside me when I woke up this morning.

"He mentioned he had some business to handle at the warehouse. I'm sure he'll be back soon," Scar explained. "It'll give you some time to prepare yourself before you talk to him."

I sighed and leaned back against the chair. "You're not helping with the nerves," I replied, feeling the anxiety build up.

Scar chuckled as he stood up from his chair. "You're going to be fine, stop stressing," he encouraged before walking towards the door and stepping inside.

I released a frustrated groan, tilting my head back and closing my eyes for a few minutes. The backyard was filled with the faint sounds of birds chirping.

When I finally opened my eyes, I was met with Xavier's face. My heart skipped a beat, his sudden presence catching me off guard. He had his arms crossed and a scowl tugging at the corner of his lips.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, my voice laced with concern, as Xavier's expression remained far from joyful.

He took a seat beside me and spoke with a serious tone, "I've scheduled another doctor's appointment for you tomorrow."

My eyes widened in shock. "Why would you do that? I'm feeling perfectly fine," I retorted hastily.

"You're feeling fine?" He scoffed, his anger palpable. "For the past two weeks, I've been waking up to the sound of you throwing up every morning."

"Either I hear it from you or we're going to the doctor's," he said sternly.

My heart sank, and I took a deep breath before speaking, "Xavier..." I struggled to find the right words.

"Yes?" Xavier's voice was patient, urging me to continue.

"I..." I hesitated, my voice faltering.

He reached out, his fingers gently lifting my chin to meet his gaze. "Go on," he whispered, his voice soft and reassuring.

"I'm pregnant," I finally said, my voice soft as I watched him closely, searching his eyes for any emotion, any reaction.

He released my chin, his gaze dropping to my stomach. "You're pregnant?" he repeated, his voice a mix of surprise and realization.

I nodded, my heart pounding as I continued, "I am. And it's okay if you don't want to—"

But I couldn't finish my sentence, as he suddenly grabbed my face and pressed his lips against mine. Breaking away from the kiss, he looked into my eyes.

"We're having a baby," he said quietly.

I chuckled softly, relief washing over me. "You're not mad?" I asked, still somewhat anxious.

"No, I'm fucking happy."

He kissed me once more. Warmth spread through my chest as I smiled against his lips. He wasn't angry; he was genuinely excited.

He pulled me even closer, his arms embracing me tightly. "I love you so much, Layla. And I promise, I'm going to love and protect our baby just as much," he vowed.

Tears of happiness welled up in my eyes, blurring my vision momentarily. "I love you too, Xavier," I whispered back, my heart swelling with a profound sense of love and security.

In that moment, it became crystal clear that I couldn't envision a life without Xavier. As long as we had each other, I held the unwavering belief that everything would be more than just okay.