Chapter two

After doing all the necessary shopping and preparing, Charlotte got into her car and took the lonely road on trying to get to her children. She did what she does best by putting on old pop songs singing and dancing to it just to keep herself company. She's alone, so she doesn't care what false notes come from her throat or if she looks like a crazy person who's having the time of her life.
After her two hour drive, she finally made it to Nadine's house. The girl waited anxiously on her mother's arrival. She has a mixture of both her parents, and there's no shame in who her father is.
"How are you?" Nadine hugs her mother and kisses her cheek.
"I'm perfect," Charlotte giggles. "Where's your sister? Is she coming as well?"

"Oh yes. Only a little bit later," Nadine replies and grabs her mother's luggage. "We're so glad you're here, mom. How was the road?"
"Lonely," she giggles and takes her other bag, carrying it into the house with her. Nadine has always been a girl who likes everything in place and modern, so it didn't surprise Charlotte even a little bit to step into a house that feels fresh, open, and so clean.
"Everyone will be arriving later on," Nadine tells her. "Freshen up, and I'll see you afterward."
Charlotte follows her up towards the room she'll be staying in.
She took all the time she could by relaxing in a warm bath, getting dressed and doing her makeup. She'll be seeing a lot of faces that she hasn't seen in a long time, including James's mother, and if she's that lucky, probably James too, along with his beautiful wife.

Quietly, Emma sits in the car next to James as they're on their way to Nadine's house. She stares out the window, chasing around her thoughts. James took notice of her odd behavior but doesn't allow it to get to him.
"Is your ex-wife also there?" She asks suddenly.
"Probably not," he shook his head. "No, Charlotte has never been one for reunions. Nadine had a reunion two years ago as well, and she never turned up."
"Oh, it has name," she rolled her eyes. James gives her a little angry look, which she immediately noticed. "You always addressed her as your ex-wife, James. I never even met the woman."
"You had to call her an it?"
"Is that a problem to you?" She asks, annoyed by why he's defending his ex.
"Have I ever called your ex an it or something disrespectful, Emma?" He asks reasonably, trying to keep as calm as he can be. "Just because you never met the person, doesn'tgive you the right to decide on their pronounce. Charlotte is a female human being who you respect, okay?"
"Who I respect? Do you hear yourself, James?" She asks even angrier. "I will not..."
"Charlotte was my wife first. She is the mother of my children, and I will not tolerate you treating her like crap especially since you married into this family, " he interrupts her rudely.
"I am your wife, James," Emma says, getting tears in her eyes. "Just take me home or to my mother." Angrily, she sits back and looks ahead of her with arms fold. "By the way, you asked me to marry you. So I deserve just as much equal respect as your fucking ex-wife."
"Emma, she didn't do you any wrong..."
"She didn't had to."

In a knee-length black dress and hair clipped up, Charlotte stands next to her youngest daughter, Janet talking with her friends. They laughed and joked under each other till eventually Nadine came and stole her mother from them. Anxiously, the girl leads her to the living room to talk to her in private.
"I just thought I'd inform you that dad is here," Nadine says to her mother. Charlotte's smile runs away. "I'm sorry. I should've warned you beforehand."
"Where is he?" Charlotte asks with a little smile just to calm her daughter.
"Outside talking to Cain," she replies and inhales deeply. "Mom, it's been eight years since you last saw each other..."
"Hey, calm down," she giggles and touches her daughter's cheek. "We'll be fine. Relax and go with the flow."
"Okay," Nadine smiles a little relieved.
Charlotte did her best to avoid running into James. She did a very good job. James didn't expect her there, so he didn't look for her either. Well, they both did pretty well until now. He takes his glass of whiskey from the table, and as he turns, his eyes meet Charlotte, standing there talking to a few members of the family. His eyes grow soft, and for a second her forgot to breathe. The years have changed them both, but for him, it feels like it only did her good.
"Charlotte."
Charlotte turns to greet the old lady who came to her. The monster in the nightmares of her dreamy marriage. James's mother, Tina. The lady has probably coloured her hair more than she offended Charlotte.
"Hi, darling," Tina greets her with an awkward tight hug. "You look so beautiful. Have you been well?"
"Hi, mother-in-law," Charlotte greets her back nicely. "I've been good and you?"
"Very well," she nods, standing up straight and pulling her nose up. "I think this family reunion is very good."
"Nadine surely knows how to arrange parties," she giggles and inhales deeply. She looked around then at James, who stood there staring at her. Her smile runs away slowly, and all she can do is watch him.
"Have you seen James yet?" She asks.
"No, not yet," she lies and looks away from James in front of her.
"Good. If you do, congratulate my son. He's going to become a father again," she says. Charlotte looks bewildered at her that walked away. Does she always have to be this cruel. Charlotte always felt weak and easily attacked by her, but now it's like she doesn't even care about her anymore. She's just upset since last she heard of James, she heard he was getting married. She got the invitation, but she listened to her heart by staying home. The last thing she wanted was to watch the man she thought she would spend the rest of her life with committing to another woman.