Chapter thirteen

James never related more to a movie scene as he does now. She's taking forever to tell him, and for some reason, she can barely look him in the eyes. So James did what he does best. He settled her down with a cup of coffee and watched her lie on the sofa, watching a television series. He hand resting on her tummy and the other somewhere nearby.

"Nadine asked if we'd like to have dinner there?" James tells her and takes a seat by her feet. He picks up her feet and places them on his lap, starting to rub it. "We don't have to go if you're not up for it."
"No, it's okay," she whispers and sits up straight, moving up to him. She lifts herself and takes a seat on his lap. Scared, she hugs his neck and rests her head on his shoulder. James holds her and rests his forehead against hers.
"Did you find out how you'll tell me yet?" He asks. She shakes her head and bits her lip. "Can I guess?"
She nods her head a little uncertain. James smiles and brings his hand to her dress to cover her. She's like a shy girl in his arms.
"Did you win the lottery?" He asks. She shakes her head with a giggle and pulls her face back to face him. "Did you find a rich man?"
"No," she giggles. "I'll give you a hint. If you don't have it right, I'm leaving and you'll see me in nine months... or maybe seven if I'm correct."
"Hmmm, that's a hint," he chuckles and places his hand on her belly. "Are you pregnant?"
Charlotte inhales deeply and nods her head slowly. James laughs in excitement, and before you could count to three, he is on top of her with his hand under her dress, on her stomach.
"So you're telling me that my genetics still works?" He asks. She laughs and nods her head. "Well, it was nice doing business with you."
She shakes her head in laughter and hits his chest softly. He pulls up her dress and goes down, kissing her stomach.
"James, why didn't you call me or anything?" She eventually asks. He looks up at her and rests his chin on her stomach.
"I didn't want you to feel like a rebound or something," he replies and moves up to her face again. She smiles and touches his face. "I had to do the divorce on my own, find my feet so that we can do this right."
"I see," she nods and scans his face. "Gosh, I missed you. I missed this."
"Does this mean we start over?" He asks. She nods. Relieved, he smiles and kisses her. Charlotte kissed him back and wrapped her arms around his neck. He hugs her and rests his face in her neck. "Thank you, Charlotte. I love you so much."
"The doctor said we should take it slow with the sex," she whispers and glares at him. He looks at her and nods slowly. "But he didn't say we should stop."
"Hmmm, do you remember when you were pregnant with Janet and you couldn't..."
"I remember," she interrupts him, feeling a little embarrassed. "Pregnancy does that sometimes."
"So the girls know?" He asks, tickling her tummy. She nods with a sweet smile and hugs his head. He rests his head on her chest and closes his eyes. "I wonder if it's a girl or a boy. Imagine you with your big, beautiful belly wearing a short dress and messy hair clipped up and I my shorts and old black t-shirt as we paint the room either pink or blue and putting pictures on the walls, decorating the room and every night before we sleep, we spend time in the baby room dreaming about holding this little body in our arms. Then, before bed, I get to rub your tummy. If I'm so lucky, you will be served as desert, and we'll make love till ten at night and fall asleep together."
"That's a lot of plans," Charlotte laughs and pulls her fingers through his hair. "Sounds good to me. We'll have a lot of restless nights, I'll most likely smell like baby vomit and every morning, run for dear life to the bathroom in embarrassment because my boobs will explode or my shirt will be soaking wet."
"Finally!" Tina celebrates as she enters the house. The two look at her, which closes the door behind her. "The man is finally getting some. Now he can stop being so fucking grumpy."
"Hi," Charlotte giggles and pull her dress down. James gets up and helps her up as well.
"Now, before you say one more word," Tina says and gives them a serious look. "I learned from past experiences, not to interfere with my son's life. Trully, I'm still his mother, and I will always be, but he's not my little boy anymore. Charlotte, I love you like my own, and I will accept."
Charlotte smiles and walks up to her, putting her arms around her. Tina holds her as well, giving James an odd look.
"As for you, sir, keep defending her, okay? Don't let her slip away again," she says. Charlotte looks at James and rests her arms around Tina's waist. "When you fight, just have sex. It helps."
"Mom," James laughs, embarrassed and winks at Charlotte. "Well, Charlotte and I have something to tell you too."
"I don't care that you're this much involved in our lives," Charlotte starts it off and gives Tina a serious look. "Mean, I would've given everything to have my mom here. But there is a limit, and as long as we keep to it, you may visit anytime, give as much advice as you like, and help me raise our little one."
Tina was about to react, but upon hearing those last words, she looked twice at Charlotte and James.
"You slept together?" Tina asks, horrified. "I told you to give him the option, not... oh fuck you're pregnant."
Tina gasps and grabs Charlotte around the neck hugging her. James laughs nervously and scratches his head.