Chapter twelve

Nadine looks at the time around her arm and then at her sister, who's sitting at the table waiting patiently.
"She should've been here now," Nadine mutters and takes a seat as well. Janet looks uncomfortably at her sister and lean forward.
"Do you think it's something bad mom has to tell us?" Janet asks a little scared. Nadine shrugs her shoulder and sits back. The two have always been nervous when their mother of father had to sit them down to something. They would always have to come home to bad news, and now the bad news is coming home to them.
"Sorry I'm late," Charlotte apologizes as she enters the kitchen. The girls jump up and approach their mother, each hugging her tightly.
"You scared us," Janet says. Charlotte cups her daughter's cheek with a sweet smile and takes Nadine's hand.
"Before we talk, I really need to go to the toilet," Charlotte tells them and make her way through in a rush. Nadine looks worried at her mother, then at Janet, who also noticed her mother's odd behavior.
"Don't call dad yet," Janet tells her sister. "Let her talk first."
"Okay," Nadine nods. They take their seats again, trying to put the puzzles together. She doesn't seem off or odd. She's just acting a little strange.
Charlotte eventually comes down and throws herself down in the chair next to Janet. The two look at their mother, who eventually got her breath back.
"So first, how are you two?" She asks them.
"We're well. Already looking at wedding dresses," Nadine tells her.
"I'm great. Got another job interview tomorrow," Janet tells her. Charlotte nods very impressed by her daughters. Her smile makes them uncomfortable, especially since she's just sitting there staring at them. "So? What's the news?"
"I've been feeling bad lately, and so I went to the doctor. They took blood tests since they couldn't pick up anything. I was honestly scared that I would have diabetes or something, especially since my mother had it. I am all healthy and nothing to worry about," Charlotte tells them and inhale deeply. "I thought I picked up an STD or something."
"Mom!" The girls gasps. Charlotte laughs and grab their hands. A little scared, she moves around in her chair and clears her throat.
"Your dad is not the only man I've been with. I kind of saw someone a year ago, and I thought that I got something from him, but luckily, I'm clean," she tells them and close her eyes for a split second. Charlotte knows exactly how to embarrass herself, especially when she overshares, but truth being told, she does this when she's nervous. She let go of her breath and looked at them. Encouraging herself to tell them is harder than she thought. "When I visited about two months ago, I... well, your dad and I had a bit of a moment, and the eventual end result is this."
She looks down at her stomach, taking her hands away from the daughters. They look horrified at each other and then at their mother.
"No!" Janet grabbed her mouth.
"No, this is... this is impossible," Nadine protests. Charlotte breathes nervously and gets up from her chair.
"I know this came in as quite a shock, but I took the time to think through this and... I am so happy that something happened between your dad and I. This is my second chance, girls. I'm sorry if this is upsetting, but this is reality. I'm scared, and I'm sorry," she tells them and put her hands in front of her stomach. "The doctor said that this would be a healthy pregnancy. I'll take his word and take the chance."
"At least she's not dying," Nadine starts to laugh. Janet hits her shoulder playfully and goes around to her mother.
"We expected something worse," Janet tells her and touches her stomach. "So, are you and dad getting back together again?"
"I haven't told him yet," she tells them and shakes her head slowly. "He's married. I should just... I can do this on my own... but he's the father and... I love him. I want him to be part of our lives."
"Mom, you have to tell him," Nadine giggles at her mother. "Forget about everything and everyone else. Go tell him IMMEDIATELY."
Charlotte nods slowly and lets go of her breath, hugging her daughters. She kisses their hair, holding them tightly.

James waits patiently by the phone for Nadine to call him. He looks at the time and gets up. He can't wait this long. Just as he was about to grab his keys, there's a knock on the door. He rushes to it and pulls it open. To his surprise, Charlotte is at his door. Her eyes burn his.
"Hi," she greets him softly. "Can I talk to you?"
"Charlotte," he smiles and steps out of the way. She walks into the house and looks around. Her eyes go round as she looks around. James closes the door and turns to her. "I was waiting for Nadine to phone me and tell me you're there."
"I figured," she giggles and turns to face him. Her smile runs away slowly, and all of a sudden, she feels like running away. "Where's Emma?"
"Not here," he replies.
"Good, because this is something I need to tell you first," she replies. "What you and Emma do with this information is all up to you..."
"Emma and I are divorced," he tells her. Her eyes goes round on his. He nods his head slowly and starts approaching her. "I told her all about us. She wanted to work through this, but I told her that I couldn't... I can't be with someone or pretend to even like someone if I'm in love... well, I'm still in love with you."
"You're still in love with me?" She asks with tears in her eyes. He nods and touches her cheek. "Good. This makes things easier then."
"I'm listening," he smiles. She takes his hand from her face into hers, looking at it.
"I imagined a million ways how I will tell you, but now that I'm here and everything is easier, I can't think of a way to tell you anymore," she whispers and let go of his hand. Quietly, she walks away from him and stares out the front door. "I just got my husband back, and I'm afraid I'll lose him again."
"Char, if there is something I need to know, tell me now," James says and approaches her. He touches her shoulders, waiting patiently for him. "Please."
"I don't know if I can do this," she whispers with tears in her eyes. "I felt so encouraged back home and when I told the children, but I'm scared when I'm around you."
James sighs and kisses the back of her head.