11: Last Night

A/N: Ahhhh! I've managed to get out another chapter this month! This felt nice, enjoy!

___

Breaks:

[L1,2 or 3] represents the beginning of a flashback to one of Elena's past lives. There is more than one past life, which is why they're numbered. Though, these memories are usually told as she sleeps and Elena herself cannot remember them.

[/L1,2 or 3] represents the end of a flashback to one of Elena's past lives.

[P] represents the beginning of a retelling of a memory in Elena's current life.

[/P] represents the end of a retelling of a memory in Elena's current life.

~3~ is just a timeskip

AN: Enjoy the story!

______

It was with gentle care and nimble movements that I removed the bandage from around Evangeline's torso. With each wrap gone, I couldn't help but brighten up. As more of her back was revealed I got to see just how much she had healed within the day since I'd last checked on the injury. While some places still had scabs, they were healthy and dry. Where the scabs were missing her skin was of a lighter color than the rest of her body. I suspected that's how it would stay for a while yet, at least until the fresh skin wasn't so fresh anymore.

"This looks great!" I praised as the last of the bandage fell onto my lap.

A green eye peered at me from over her shoulder, mouth quirked up halfway, happiness danced within. The more time I spent with these travelers the easier I found it to be to read what their moods were based on their expressions. Some expressions were still unknown to me, the emotion read in their eyes not familiar enough to guess what it could be either, but I was certainly getting better. This expression Evangeline gave me was amused, something she seemed to display quite a lot around both Yugo and I especially.

"It's all thanks to you Elena," she told me. "I haven't ever healed this fast before and my back was bad. I know because, as I told you before, I've had worse."

Uncomfortable by the warm fuzzy feeling the praise gave me, I turned my attention to the wrap in my lap. I started to roll it up carefully. It would have to be washed later.

"Uhm..." I cleared my throat, still unable to look back up quite yet. Evangeline let out a giggle that only made me feel embarrassed. "How... how about checking your alignment? Since, now that you're healed, you can do full movements again?"

The idea of how to do so was a combination of what Evangeline had suggested before at the river and something that came to mind when I taught Yugo how to fell the trees. Basically, I'd be using my magic to check for any misalignment in Evangeline's back. 

That first time I had thought of it, I'd immediately done it on myself, on my leg. The fact that it worked at all was enough to make me giddy. But on top of being able to- essentially- sense bone structures, I was able to make out where injuries were- be it little things like soreness, or something big like dislocation. My current on-going test on myself was to see if it was possible to ease soreness away. Unfortunately I've had minimal success so far on that front.

Just checking to see if everything was where it was supposed to be though? I had that down pat. It was Dally who I had tried the ability on first, considering how he'd somehow misalign himself barely an hour after he'd visit the Bone Healer. He kept traveling all the was to the Summit Tree, only to have to turn back around for the village a few minutes after arrival. So after I explained what I planed to do for him- just look at what was wrong so he could stop hurting himself- and I'd gotten permission to try it on him. It worked of course, exactly as I knew it would. Dally's description of the event though- like I'd dunked him into a hot bath and given him a shot of liquid courage- was odd. Never mind that I didn't understand half of the description though, because he didn't get hurt again afterwards. For the rest of that day he was fine, in spite how freely he moved around, which was a great improvement compared to before.