Chapter 3

It was pretty late when Jessica woke up. About 12? 1pm? Who knows... Joseph was still sleeping and the two other sisters would probably return at about 2:30pm.

She decided to go on and make herself a cup of tea. Suprisingly, she was the only one in the family to like black tea with milk. Her dad just drank matcha all the time, Erica shared a passion for coffee with Sarah and Sean was the one to introduce Rosa to fruit tea. Especially the one with plums and cinnamon.

The jazz bar was pretty full yesterday. It was never boring. Though Jessica never liked talking to other people (because her aura somehow always scared all of the cute guys off), Hinata was always there to talk.

They even had a special alcohol-free drink, that never oficially ended up on the menu, soda, lemon and raspberry syrup and ice. Hinata was a short and chubby long haired lady. She had a tiny bit of accent, but it sounded cute to Jessica. She was also about ten years older, though it was pretty hard to tell. 26? 27? Eh, not important.

The band played jazz, obviously. It wasn't the kid of jazz you would imagine. Not the almost nonsensical, mostly quiet music without a steady rythm your dad listens to and says it's pure art and you understand nothing, you uncultured, mainstream person. It was the light, funny backround music, that you can find days worth of playlists on youtube with an aesthetic café in the backround.

It was called "that nasty jazz bar", because Joseph's bandmates were as intelligent as a soup made of all communist-like teachers' brains in the world. Another reason was, that it was rather dirty and the menu had almost nothing drinkable or edible. And every person who worked there, hated the place because how dirty it was, but loved it because it was a rather peaceful job.

The tea's ready! Jessica came to take a look at the streets with a mug in her hand. They were still wet from yesterday's rain they managed to miss on their way home. She loved the rain and the wet streets after it.

Jessica smiled and, like she always did on mornings like these, slided a coat over her shoulders, poured the tea into a special bottle for hot stuff and snuck out for a walk around the forest.

Since this was a different island than the city, the trees were different too. They were pointy and dark green this time. It wasn't anything special, many other places had the exact same trees. Maybe not as many as this one had, though.

It was beautiful. Everything was wet, water still sliding and dripping down from the leaves. No benches, no graffiti. Just an imaginary path Jessica made up for herself (and Alice sometimes) over the years.

As she walked she wasn't careful enough and accidentally stepped on a suprisingly well placed and crunchy stick. Jessica noticed, but didn't think much of it and was going to continue walking, when suddenly, a wild fluff of childish behaviour jumped in front of her.

She didn't really freak out, just flinched a little. It was a little mulato kid with a big, curly ponytail of puffy hair behind his back, sports clothes and a big, sharp, stick.

"Do not move, miss, or I will have to do actions!" he yelled playfully and waved his stick.

"Oh? Wha-wha-what-what are you-you-you pla-pla-planning on do-do-do-doing?" Jessica asked and placed her hands on her hips, shaking her head.

"I will... uhhh..." the boy put his stick down, but pointed it at Jessica once again when he came up with something. "I will take your coffee and drink it!"

"It's aaaa-a-actually t-t-tea, bbb-but-but-but you can ha-ha-have it if you're th-thth-thirsty..." she held the hot liquid out and came closer.

The boy let his stick fall to the ground and he ran towards Jessica, hands reaching out for the can, but suddenly, she held it closer to her chest, not letting him take it.