Chapter 8

"I'm wondering what we're going to do, should we just give up?" Rosa sighed.

"And greet them with open arms?" Julian replied.

"Yes..." she looked up at the ceiling.

"You're hopeless, Rosa." he sighed in defeat.

Julian clumsily wrapped an arm around her shoulders and leaned his head to her. She chuckled and did the same.

"Don't you know it's gonna be alright?" he whispered.

"Ya'll saying you want a revolution, well, we know we can't really change the world, can we? It's not about the world itself, it's about the people inside it." she exclaimed and shot her eyes shut.

"We can, perhaps, well, it will be more fun if we don't give up, no?"

"That's right, so we've got to try, at least try." Rosa shook her head.

"It's hopeless." Julian laughed a little and didn't stop smiling.

"Oh, so I convinced you in the end." she opened her eyes and glanced at him.

Rosa did convince him, but he didn't want to admit it, to admit defeat that easily, so he said nothing. It's a childish thing, but aren't we all guilty of that, at least sometimes. 

"Why even bother? We're the only ones free left anyway." Joseph sadly stared into the rainy noon.

"Well, y'know, I want future for my kid," Cameron looked down at him eagerly and nodded.

"I do, too! But in the end, you all will have to fight without me, I'm..." his expression turned rainy, too. "I'm too scared to actually fight back,"

"Wait, you are a parent, yeah?" Cameron kneeled in front of Joseph and made him look into his eyes filled to the top with concern.

"Well, a parent protects their kids to the last drop of blood. So you're not scared of having to protect your kids, are you? What are you scared of, Josie?"

"I'm scared that I'll mess up... And I'll lose my girls, I'll lose Alice, I'll lose you, I'll be completely useless, and while you fight for your rights, I'll be curled up somewhere in the corner and let you lose alone."

"Shh, even if you do, it's alright, but you will still be as brave as you can be, eh?"

"I will try to fight for you all,"

"And if you don't, I'll fight instead, got it?"

"You don't have to, really,"

"Got it?" Cameron repeated a little more firmly and took Joseph's hands in his.

"Got it." Joseph sighed.  "Still, I don't want you to-" he was cut off by an index finger on his lips and a quiet and steady shh.

"I want to, okay? Don't worry about me, worry about the kids and yourself."

"Alright, alright," Joseph admitted defeat and laughed a little, a little sadly too.

"Erica hadn't come out of her room today at all, you got any idea where is she?" Rosa wondered.

"No idea, can she be with Jessie?" Julian wondered also, laying on the bed upside down right next to her. And how did kids manage to just talk for such a long time?

"I think Jessie went to walk the dog alone,"

"You think Erica went too?"

"I think Erica went too. You know how she is, so quiet we can't even see her most of the time."

"Maybe you're right..." she was worried. Really worried. If they went together after all, they could get caught really easily, and what will they do to their dog? Rosa's eyes were now watering and she weeped quietly, curling up in a ball.