Chapter 12: Recognize

November 21, 2016 – Monday

Waking up the next morning was painful. My head feels like it will explode at any moment, pulsing nonstop like a racing heart. The dark room is the first thing I see as soon as I open my eyes. I really appreciate that. I can't say for sure what time it is; maybe it was already past dawn. The curtains are dark; the sun's rays hardly enter here when they are closed. I reach for the nightstand to turn on the light of the small lamp beside me. My eyes quickly catch a pack of medicine and a glass of water.

Minjeong. I smile at her act. She cares about me a lot.

I need to remember to thank her. And that she forbids me to drink so much the next time we have dinner together.

My eyes open by contemplation. Did I really just think about repeating last night with her?

Heavens...

The world is crazy.

I take one of the pills from the pack that I believe are for headaches, drink all the water in the glass. I'm very thirsty; I think alcoholic drinks cause this in people. I lie down again to rest a few more minutes before getting up to shower and get ready. I still have to go to Dr. Brooke's appointment, and I confess that I would like to cancel, but I know I have many things to vent with her.

(...)

My whole body relaxes when I go under the hot shower. It is always relaxing to take a shower like this right after waking up. I had the routine of bathing after waking up since I can remember. My mother always said that I also had this routine when I was just a baby; I was only calm and happy after taking a shower in the morning. I never used to wake up late, but there were exceptions, of course.

I wrap myself in the towel and close the luxury shower stall. I feel renewed like a new woman. My head doesn't feel like a racing heart anymore, and I don't feel like pulling it out. I smell good and feel ready for a new day. I leave the bathroom with a small smile on my face when I smell the soap in the air. It is very fragrant and makes my skin so soft. Minjeong uses a different one, but it smells as good as mine. She always takes care of everything when she got out of the shower; it is impossible not to notice.

When I'm choosing a new piece of clothing, I hear my cell phone vibrating somewhere in the room. I can hear it because the house is so quiet, and I remember leaving it on the headboard the night before. I grab tight sweatpants and a long-sleeved shirt, walk out of the closet wearing nothing but panties and a bra. I go to my phone and before I even pick it up, I see two messages of "Mi suerte" appear on the screen.

Mi suerte: I changed your appointment time to 2 pm. Forgive me for doing this, but I didn't know if you would be able to get up early.

Mi suerte: I left your breakfast ready. Did you take the medicine I left on the nightstand? Drink plenty of water if you're not feeling totally well.

I was about to complain that she changed the appointment time without telling me, but I was startled when I checked the hours and realized that it was after midday. It looks like I really went out last night. All that wine didn't do me any good; I should avoid it going forward. I leave the phone on the bed and get dressed quickly, just running my hands through my hair to fix it. I pick up the phone again with the intention of answering Minjeong, but before I can, she sends me another message.

Mi suerte: I was starting to get worried. You finally woke up, sleeping beauty. How are you?

Me: I understand your concern; I was startled to realize how long it took me to wake up. Yes, I'm fine, and thank you for scheduling another time for me with the psychologist.