Chapter 29: Her Request

Karina's POV

She has been staring at me for a few minutes without saying a word; I think I shocked her in a surreal way. Ningning continues to stare at me, seeming to digest what I just said. Was it that surprising?

"Will you not say anything?"

She blinks a few times, seeming to have woken up from her trance. Ningning clears her throat, settling on the bed. She seems restless, I know her well enough to know that. I am nervous about what will come next.

"Are you sure about what you just said?"

"Yes."

I answer without hesitation. I have been imagining this for days and more and more the desire to be a mother seems to grow inside me again. I can't explain the reason, I just can't control it.

"Rina, you know that a child brings many responsibilities, right? Like, a lot. I know you have Shotaro, but it turns out that he is already big, the responsibility and need that he demands is totally different from what a newborn would need."

"I know that, Ning. But there is something here inside me burning for it."

"You want to remember the feeling of being pregnant. And I really understand that, but stop and think about the moment you are currently living with your wife."

"Ningning, I know all this well. It's not like I'm just going to decide to get pregnant and she just accepts that condition. I need to talk to her, but I'm sharing my desire with you. It's just something that's inside of me."

"Got it, but are you really sure?"

I sigh long and look around me, seeing some baby pictures of my son and I feel tightness in my chest. I want that feeling back, I need it like it's heroin or nicotine. I need to experience these things to feel more alive.

"Very."

"Have you talked about it after everything that happened? I mean, related to having children and everything, now that you're getting better and better, it would be normal for this subject to come up."

"No. Minjeong hasn't brought it up anymore, and I don't want to pressure her. I'm giving her time. But I see how she has been with you and how she looks when Aeri's son is close."

"Minjeong has always been passionate about children. She said that she wanted to have many children."

"Yes, I know that. I didn't want that much before, but now it seems like everything inside me begs for it."

"I think that will is common. You are more adapted to your adult life, you have a son who you don't remember growing up and the situation with Minjeong is getting better, the two of you always wanted a big family. It is normal that you want to have a new child. But, you know it can be dangerous..."

"You say that because it is a trigger for her, right?" Ningning nods quickly. "Yes, I know that, and for that reason I still haven't said anything. I will only speak when I feel it is time, but I have this desire. And I also know that Minjeong would never say no about it, but I don't want her to get hurt anymore just to make me happy."

"It is so good to see you taking care of and loving her so well, you know? I was afraid that this time you would end up really breaking up. Heeseung and I went through several difficult phases too, I believe that every couple will be that way at some point, but it is important to know how to face the barriers. Life is hard in itself, it's not worth getting stuck in something that doesn't make you happy."

"I'm more and more in love with her, it was so instant that I only realized when I could no longer deny myself. It would be a dream to see her pregnant, you know? Even though I really want to get pregnant again, at that moment, I hope it will be her turn in the future."