Pain That Was Written In The Stars

April 16th 1978
-James Pov-

     The pain did not go away after March twenty seventieth. I missed Reg. I missed his soft hair, his watercolor blue eyes, his lips on mine, but most of all I missed his laugh, the laugh that could light the world.

I got worried since I didn't even see a glimpse of Regulus now; he didn't come to the great hall and I most definitely didn't see him during passing time. But as far as I knew he was around, his friends talked about him, but I didn't dare ask how he was.

If one thing was for sure, it would be that his friends would kill me for hurting Reg and I don't blame them. I shouldn't have reacted that way, but I also knew we couldn't be together, especially if we fight on two different sides.

I was walking down the hall to the library to study for my upcoming N.E.W.T. S when I got a glimpse of Regulus; he was wearing his uniform, but it looked way too loose on him and he looked tired. He had dark bags under his eyes and was overall sickly looking.

I felt my heart clench. I felt terrible now about how I reacted, but mostly I just wanted to wrap my arms around Regulus to comfort him. He looked tense, his shoulders stiff, and his face seemed to hide his emotions. I wonder if Voldemort was causing it or if our break up was causing Reg to look this bad. Unfortunately, I couldn't ponder this further because Regulus had already swept away in a flash.

~
June 2nd 1978

     The day was finally here; I was graduating today. The months went by fast, the same routine came each day and I hardly had seen Regulus four times in the following months. I still felt sad and missed Regulus, but now I won't see him or be able to check on him or protect him.

I felt hollow inside, like I had been ripped apart. I truly loved Regulus and one day I hope to see him again.

"Come on Prongs, we're going to be late to the graduation." Sirius said, taking me out of my thoughts.

"Right we are. We can't miss out on the boats." I say back, washing my face of sad emotions with happy emotions.

As we were walking down the hall, a girl with thick curly hair stopped me.

"I have a note I was told to give you." She said while handing me an envelope and walking off. I looked down at it and recognized the neat handwriting of Regulus Black. I took a deep breath and ripped open the envelope and grabbed the letter.

Dear James,
Congratulations on graduating!
I mean every word in this letter that I say, so please just hear me out.
I truly love you. You will always be my first and only love, but please don't hold on to this. Find someone who will make you happy, make you laugh, and most of all, be your world, the person who lights your whole universe. I wish you the most luck with your future in whatever path you pick. I want you to know that with good comes evil, but with evil comes good; I know you plan to join the war and with that I feel I need to tell you to be safe and do nothing stupid. I know sometimes get ahead of yourself but be careful, there will be darkness to come, but in the end I hope there will be light.
Promise me you will be happy. I need you to find happiness.

R.A. B

     I read the letter and started to tear up. It was like I was talking to Reg, as if I could hear his voice next to me; I wanted to keep Reg's promise, but as Reg said; he is my only love and I his.

I finally caught up with Sirius, Remus, and Peter and got ready for the graduation. Everything felt surreal. This place has been my home for seven years and I was saying goodbye to it and all the students and teachers that I saw every day that made my time here so much more special.

I felt myself smiling but also felt tears in my eyes as The Marauders sat in a boat saying our final goodbye to our home of seven years to start our lives out in the world.

"Look at us joining the wizarding world as graduated wizards! Sirius said with the biggest grin. Peter looked scared. Remus looked right at home, holding on to Sirius with a lover-like smile. And me, well, I will figure it out.

"Professor, you called for us?" I said shyly as Peter, Sirius and Remus trailed behind me as we walked into Dumbledore's office.

"We didn't do whatever you called us in for." Sirius says quickly.

"Well, Mr Black, that is not why I have called you in, but is there something I should know?" Dumbledore replied.

"No, not at all." Sirius says a little too quickly.

"Come sit down. I have an important matter to discuss." Dumbledore says while ignoring Sirius. "As you know, I have started my own war campaign called the Order of the Phoenix and I was wondering if you four would join. The war could benefit with such smart and brave young men that you are."

We all looked at each other and came to an agreement internally and nodded.

"We would love to!" All four of us said at the same time.

“You are my sun, my moon, and all of my stars.”

I made a Spotify playlist for this book if interested: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2PlasgMkzrHymuVkKz0v4A?si=oLLaJU7dTQiHFASPKP6dWg