Episode 23

Rise and shine!

I sit up in bed with a smile and run to the bathroom.

Today is Jisoo's birthday.

How do I know?

Great question!

I found last year's calendar while I was cleaning up the kitchen a few days ago and I saw 2 things:

1 being Jisoo's birthday on May 25th.

The second being that there were 2 more dates listed on the calendar. One was her mom's birthday, which was harshly crossed out. And, written on top of it in anxious handwriting was "Hae-In's Death". I can only assume that the man was her husband.

I hid the calendar under my mattress so that I could theorize later.

So today on May 25th I decided to make breakfast for her.

I looked up an easy recipe to make pancakes last night and secretly out to buy ingredients.

I look at all the ingredients on the countertop and crack my knuckles.

Let's do this.

And so after an exhausting 45 minutes, I manage to wrangle together a decent batter and I turn on the pan to make pancakes.

I make about 2 pancakes before I hear Jisoo's bedroom door creak open.

I smile and see her walk out and squint slightly as she comes to the kitchen instead of going to the bathroom.

"What are you doing?"

I grin wider. "I wanted to make you pancakes."

She shakes her head. "I am not eating whatever you make."

I roll my eyes. " I swear I did a good job this time. Try."

She sighs and breaks off a small piece from the pancake as I flip the one of the pan very carefully.

I turn to her and she nods and swallows.

"Well?" I ask.

She looks up at me and says, "It is good."

I punch a fist in the air. "Yes! I can now add it to my list of items I can cook!"

"Which consists of avocado toast and pancakes," she reminds me.

I point to her. "So far."

She shakes her head exasperatedly and says, "Let me brush my teeth and eat it. I will be right back."

I finish making 2 more pancakes by the time she comes out and sits on the countertop, swinging her legs that are almost touching the ground.

I grin and look back at flipping the pancake.

"This is really god. What recipe did you use?"

"I just found something on YouTube after a lot of research. It was easy and I thought it would be nice to make."

"Send me the link."

I salute as I slide a pancake onto a plate from the pan for myself.

I'm going to make one more and turn it off. I already made 3.

"Did you...think today was special?"

I hold back a smile and shake my head. "I just wanted to make you something nice."

"Oh."

I smile and turn around.

"Shall we go out for dinner tonight?"