The awkward beginning

The water splashed from the puddles that the melting snow had created as the traveler's worn shoes stepped in them. The man dressed in green walked the path made by deers as nature slowly came alive around him. Little creatures, birds, and bugs began to tidy up their homes as the flora slowly got ready to cover the world in green. The man took out a mouth organ, put it to his lips and closed his eyes, getting ready to create a new spring tune.

An ugly loud sound emitted from the harmonica as the vagabond tripped and fell face first into the mud. The man heard a little giggle, followed by an unfamiliar voice. "Are you alright?"

He sat up, his cheeks lightly dusted pink from the fact that someone had just witnessed his embarrassing fall, and looked up at the person.

An unfamiliar face was smiling at him and reaching their hand out. "Yes, I'm alright, thank you," the man replied a bit late as he took the person's hand and let them pull him up.

He dusted off his clothes and cleaned his harmonica before looking up at the person again. "You have some mud right here." The taller person pointed out. The man wiped his cheek, but the person said: "No, the other side." The traveler wiped his other cheek. "There you go." the person smiled.

The two stood in awkward silence before the taller one spoke up. "So, what's your name?" The vagabond shifted his attention to the person again. "Snufkin, and you are?" "Y/n. I presume you're a traveler, like me?" "That's right," Snufkin replied. The awkward silence came again.

"Well, I cannot stay for small talk, so goodbye. I wish you well and to not trip again!" Y/n chuckled as they went in the opposite direction of where Snufkin was heading. "Farewell!" Snufkin watched them turn a corner and disappear into the coverage of the waking forest.

Snufkin stood for a moment looking at where they turned the corner before taking out his harmonica and continuing his journey. Now his new spring tune had a new character in it.