Hello again...

The harsh spring sun burned Snufkin's tan skin, but the salty sea air cooled it back down. It was a never-ending cycle. Snufkin got lost in foggy memories of his childhood, of the same feeling all those years ago.

He thought of his child self. What would he think of him now? What would his old childhood friends think of him if they met again? Would they play together again, like the old times? Would they splash around the water and laugh about nothing again? No, they probably have families now, they wouldn't have time to do that, plus they'd probably think adults shouldn't act like children-

A cool splash of water on his clothes and a loud apology from Moomin snapped Snufkin out of his nostalgic thoughts. Water muffled Moomin's apology as Little My kept trying to pull him under. The amusing sight made Snufkin chuckle.

A sigh escaped his lips as he leaned back, embracing the warm glow of the sun, like a cat. As much as he tried to not think about the old times, his mind kept bringing the thought up. He should find something to do. He can't get nostalgic and melancholic on this beautiful, sunny day.

"Where are you going?" Moomin's voice sounded as Snufkin stood up. The white furry creature sat on the bathhouse bridge, looking at Snufkin.

"Just a walk." Snufkin smiled and walked away while taking out his pipe and lighting it. He was lying, obviously. He wasn't going on just a walk, he was going on a several-day trip.

Snufkin packed as fast as he could so he wouldn't need to say goodbye. Moomin's going to be sad when he finds out that it isn't 'just a walk'. Plus, he needed to clear his head as fast as possible.

The mumrik, clad in green, packed his last item, threw his old rucksack on and dashed for the path leading out of Moominvalley, into the vast green woods. Instantly, he felt better, the refreshing and crisp air of the forest clearing his mind and calming down his body.

The melodic singing of the birds put a smile on his face and the rustling of trees made him lose track of time. Every little sound of nature warmed his heart and insides bit by bit, contrasting with the cold spring wind chilling his skin. The swears of an irritated person- wait? The swears of an irritated person?

Snufkin's head swung towards the sound. The voice was familiar and coming from the blackberry bushes. The mumrik slowly approached the bush and spread it open, careful to not poke himself, and there you were. Tangled in the thorns of the blackberry bushes.

This was your turn to be embarrassed as you slowly turned your head to the light and the man you knew as... Snifkin?

"Hiiii..." You smiled awkwardly and tried to wave, but your sleeve was caught by the thorns. It just made it even more awkward.
"Hello again... Do you, uhm... need help?" Snufkin raised a brow. "If it's not too much trouble, I would greatly appreciate it..." You tugged your arm again, attempting to free it from the grip of the thorns.

After a long while, you were finally free from the captivity of the thorns, not without minor injury, obviously. Since the sun was setting, the mumrik suggested setting up a camp and spending the night together.

"So, where are you heading?" You cleared your throat as your voice came out creaky. "Nowhere in particular. Just clearing my mind." Snufkin poked at the burning wood with a stick. "What about you?"

"Oh, I'm just heading back to uhh... Moominvalley, I think..? There's this Moomin who treated me to a really delicious pie..." Your mouth watered from the memory of the pie. It just melted in your mouth and the crust had the perfect amount of crunch.

"Oh? You've met Moominmamma?" Snufkin leaned back and took out his pipe. "You know her?" You looked at him. Now that you were closer to him, you could get a better look at his features. His long, bumped nose and relaxed brown eyes reminded you of a childhood friend that had the exact same ones. The freckles as well.

"Yes, I reside in Moominvalley in the warm months." Snufkin lit his pipe and stuck it in his mouth, returning his attention to the soup that was cooking.

"I can understand. It's quite a lovely place." Your eyes slid down to his old and worn-down coat. It was dirty and ripped in some places. He looked like a homeless man. "Wait, in the warm months, you say? So you migrate like a bird when it gets cold?" You chuckled, and he responded the same. "Exactly." He smiled.

Snufkin stirred around the soup. "The soup's ready." You quickly took out your bowl. You were starving. He poured you both some soup and began to feast.

"So, is Moominvalley a good place to stay and come back to? I'm looking for somewhere to settle down for a bit. Traveling takes a lot outta ya." You asked with your mouth full. "For me it is," Snufkin replied, with his mouth not full, opposite of you.

While you ate in a comfortable silence, you considered settling in Moominvalley for a little while. The residents seemed nice, and it has a beautiful landscape. Plus, there's another traveler living there, so it won't get boring.

Snufkin got up to wash his bowl, snapped you out of your thoughts and you stood up with him. "Is there a river nearby?" You looked around. He nodded and began to walk into the forest, you followed. You washed and dried your bowls, putting them in your bags.

As you were getting ready for sleep, Snufkin was poking the fire. "Are you going to go to sleep?" You asked, putting on your socks. "No, I'm staying out a little longer. Goodnight," he replied, not taking his eyes off of the fire. "Goodnight." You smiled and entered your tent.

You heard him go into his tent a few hours later, as you still hadn't fallen asleep, and for some reason that calmed you, that he went to sleep. You curled up and hugged your blanket. A soft smile lit up on your lips as you finally peacefully went to sleep.

AN: Sorry I took long to write this, school and after-school clubs really took a toll on me, and I didn't have any energy at all. I drank several cups of tea trying to write this, but THIS IS MY LONGEST CHAPTER YET!!! (it took around 3h) I'll try to make them longer in the future. Btw I applied some of my headcannons to Snufkin, I hope y'all don't mind. I might reread this and edit it in the future instead of actually writing again. (Btw I listened to this song while writing, so you can as well to get the vibes. Pic is from pinterest)