11. He's a shrewd man

~Song mentioned: Moonlight by Kali Uchis~

***

Fuck this feels good!!

Dhiraj relished the feeling of the warm water around him. He was tired as hell. After all, he was working harder than he ever did now. And rather than the illicit activities of his clan, his attention was focused more on his "white money" [A/N: Not really but still] construction business. The reason was simple. Now that his mate was into picture, he simply couldn't stop imagining his life ahead. He wanted his family, his kids and his beloved, the kind of peace and security that he never got to experience growing up. He absolutely WOULD NOT let his mate and his kids be a part of the gray-grim world that he was thrust into.

He got pushed into such life because of his parents, by his birth, his life. And now that he finally, FINALLY had a chance to live the one dream his heart ached for since what felt like an eternity, he decided he would never ever ever let any nefarious thing touch them. So he will have to work hard. Build his power to protect what's precious to him.

I will do everything to protect him. He let go off his worries as he suspended his body freely, floating on the water. He felt a strange tranquility. It might be because of him, the alpha smiled to himself at that thought.

"Don't you feel cold?"A voice interrupted Dhiraj's merry time. His eyes flash open. It was Nakul, standing by the edge of the roof-top pool.

"It's warm. The pool has a heating system." He replied. He had no idea why Nakul was there. Nakul rarely came to the pool.

"Oh." Nakul neared the edge, dipping his toes a bit into the water. It was warm indeed. "Must be feeling nice."

Does he wanna get in? Dhiraj had his doubts. "So....why don't you try getting in?"

"I can?" Nakul stared at the alpha wide eyed, too surprised that he was granted the permission.

Dhiraj didn't understand why Nakul responded that way." Y-Yeah. Why not? You thought you can't come here?"

Nakul averted his eyes. Because that was precisely what he thought. "Yeah......I thought since your room is on this floor. Like this is your floor so I can't-I can't come here."

WHAT? What's the logic behind that? Dhiraj was too stunned to speak. But he got over his astonishment quickly. Baby, I would LOVE for you to come here. Or even to my room, the mutt wanted to scream. But obviously he cannot do that. He reined in his thoughts before answering. "That-hahaha. I don't know why you thought that but...."

Dhiraj neared the pool's edge. Resting his forearms on the rim, he looked at his mate with lovesick puppy eyes. "You can come here whenever you want. In fact, why don't you hop in now?" Dhiraj casually suggested.

"I can? Now?"

"Yeah. If you want to."

"Of course." Without even a single thought, Nakul removed his shirt, pulled his pants down and jumped into the pool. And the only thought consuming in the alpha's mind was that: He's in my pool. With me. Practically naked. It took Dhiraj a solid minute to finally register in his mind the situation he was in. And despite being thrilled, he had to bite his tongue to keep his thoughts, hands and body in check. DON'T JUMP ON HIM. DON'T!!

He restrained himself from going even 1 foot close to his mate. But his eyes simply won't let go of the sight in front of him. How could he not gawk at his mate. Those athletic muscles that Nakul had were quite pristine. As if perfectly carved by God himself. How could he not soak in such a soothing sight to eyes. He gulped more as the urge to feel that smooth skin under fingers rose within him.