Reflections

Fingers anxiously pulled on perfectly curled ringlets attempting to relieve her stress. Audrey stared at her bubblegum pink phone sitting atop her white nightstand.

The machine seemed to stare back at her with contempt in its numbered keys. Of course, the granddaughter of Sleeping Beauty knew her eyes and mind were playing tricks. She didn't want to pick up the phone. No matter how many times the shrill ringing filled her ears, she couldn't bear the thought of reaching for it.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

It was the last shrill ringing that her fingers rushed to grab the wretched thing.

"Hello, Grandmother." She said cordially, yet her hands trembled viscously. She couldn't understand why she trembled while speaking with her guardian. Shouldn't her tone be full of excitement? Why wasn't she happy?

The woman had been there since her mother and father were brutally murdered by a rebellious villain group called Black Claw when Audrey was only three years old. Everyone in Auradon knew of her peculiar background, yet no one remarked on it. Many were too afraid to approach the girl because of her grandmother's influence over the Court and Auradon politics.

"Audrey. What have you done?" The woman started, her tone hard as ice.

The princess could already imagine the famed cursed princess, now queen frowning with deep umbrage burning in her beady eyes. Silence lapsed between the two, one afraid of answering, the other waiting for an explanation that would never come. Before Audrey could utter an answer she was cut off by a barge of hurtful words.

"I have raised you since your mother went off with that man and both got themselves killed. You must make Prince Ben take your hand in marriage or else I will strip you of your title completely. I will not have you tarnishing the family name like this. How dare you! Do what you must or else I'll take matters into my own hands!" Her fiery words seemed to send a deluge of piercing arrows toward Audrey's fragile heart.

The threat sent shivers down her spine as she feared the actions her ruthless grandmother would take to remain in power. Her breaths came out erratic and choked as she fisted her top.

"We will have a long talk when I see you next on Parent's Day. I can promise that child." The old woman said, her tone was full of finality and promise. Goosebumps covered her arms as she shivered.

Audrey let go of herself and hid away in the recesses of her scattered mind. It was easier that way.

Odette listened as the line went dead. With a deep breath, she tried to calm her racing heart, but all she could think about was what her grandmother promised. She could already feel the phantom pains tearing across her arms. Her shivering body seemed to now be vibrating uncontrollably with fear.

Her bright blue eyes stared down at her bright white, yellow, and blue cheerleader outfit. The tacky uniform seemed to sag on her too-thin form.

She forgot Audrey was the cheer captain at Auradon Prep. Her fingers hastily pulled down the skirt only to find the skirt hadn't moved an inch.

She took another deep breath trying to calm herself, She glanced at her reflection once more and walked away with a smile absent on her face.

☆ ☆ ☆

Her bright blue and yellow pom poms felt itchy in her hands as she tried her best not to drop them, though it was tempting. Why was she there? She hated cheerleading.

Odette huffed as she kicked her leg up once more with a mega-watt smile plastered on her face. Sweat beaded down her temples as the last remnants of summer drifted in the air. The heat weighed on everyone as students opted for their summer closet instead of their usual autumn clothes.