Part 5

*Previously in part 4*
"Are you gonna date anyone else?"
Katrina stared at her empty glass, knowing they were both starting to get really drunk. She shrugged and poured herself some more anyway. "Probably?"
"Probably?"
"Probably." Katrina said, more confident, looking at Janet.
"What are you looking for?" Janet said, almost like a whisper. Katrina's eyes darted from Janets eyes to her lips. "What do you mean?"
Part of her was tugging herself away, but the other part, the stronger part, was tugging herself towards Janet. Katrina leaned in a bit hesitantly, but Janet did the same. She wrapped her hands around Janet and pulled her into a kiss.

The kiss was passionate and rough. It didn't feel planned or expected. It was an act of drunk-lust, and it seemed to have lasted forever, yet it was over in the blink of an eye.
Janet pulled back, she let out a bewildered, "What?" She wasn't sure what had happened. It felt so fast.
Katrina dropped her hands from Janet's face.
"What.. What was that?" Janet said softly, almost speaking to herself. Her fingertips rested on her lips, where Katrina had been. Katrina didn't say anything. She wasn't sure what to say. Janet shook her head, "I'm.. I'm sorry, Katrina. I just.." Why was she doing this? She wanted Katrina. She wanted to kiss her. To be with her. Why is she preventing herself from that?
Finally, Katrina said something, "it's okay.. I'm sorry."
Katrina stood, Janet hesitated to reach a hand out and bring her back to the couch and continue what they had started. There was shuffling outside the door, followed by knocking. She could hear multiple feet on the other side.

Katrina opened the door to:
"Heyyyy whhhaattssuppppp!" It was Chad, with their children.
"What is wrong, Chad?" Katrina asked, looking annoyed at the sight of him but secretly grateful.
"I'm just ha, umm.. look man...I love these little goobers and I know I promised to watch them until morning...which, you know, I've done lots of times and its really no problem, it just on this night isnt the greatest since well.. haha, life.. things happen, stuff happens, so well.."
Katrina raised an eyebrow. By this point, Janet was bringing the children inside and taking off their coats.
"You can't watch them?" Katrina asked.
"No.. well, yes. Yes. I can't watch them tonight, I'm sorry."
Katrina sighed and mumbled some Russian curse under her breath.
"Ok, goodnight, Chad."
"Goodn-" he was cut off from the door shutting in his face.

Janet and Katrina worked separately, putting their children to bed. Janet seemed to take her time helping Riley count sheep and singing her lullabies. In the past, it was a nightmare making Riley sleep after coming back from Uncle Chad's, but it was strangely easy this time. Katrina, however, had disciplined her twins well, so she just leaned on the doorframe watching them. Eventually, she headed to the kitchen to pour herself some vodka. Janet joined Katrina in the kitchen shortly after.

But Janet felt wrong. It felt she had stepped beyond Katrina and her own boundaries, even though it was Katrina who initiated the kiss. She wanted to be with Katrina, although she had yet admitted it to herself. She fucked up, she shouldn't have been so quick to push away and question herself then. But now that it has, it felt impossible to come back. She tried to paint herself as confident, being the one to take Katrina by the face and plant her lips on hers. She made her face red by thinking about it. She turned the kitchen sink on and slashed cold water on her face before turning back to Katrina. Why was she so stupid? She could barely look at Katrina after that mess. Katrina didn't look at her, just at the glass of vodka as she drank it. There was silence in the dark kitchen, Katrina's face was almost emotionless, but Janet had trouble hiding herself. She hid her face in her hand as Katrina finally glanced over. They made eye contact, Janet wanted to look away, but she was lost. She had been relying on Katrina so much through her divorce, she was her greatest friend and now she hurt her.
"Katrina.." Janet's head bobbed downward in shame. "I'm.." I'm not sure what to say, I don't want to make things worse for you.. or us.
"It's okay, you don't need to say anything." Katrina's thick accent cut through Janet's thoughts. "No," Janet replied. "I need to speak, I just.." she threw her arms up in a wave of uncertainty. "I.. just need to find the right words. I don't want to hurt you."

"I know." Katrina's hard voice drew shivers up Janet's spine.

"I'm not sure what happened, I mean I know what happened, we kissed. But I don't understand why.." Janet felt herself fumbling through words.

"Why I kissed you?" Katrina asked.

Janet felt herself getting warm again, she turned around against the kitchen counter. "No.. why I pushed you away."
Katrina stood up, and walked closer to Janet, she wanted to look her in the face.
"I didn't mean.. well I wasn't sure. I'm not sure what I'm doing. Not with Riley or Roger or anyone. And even with the alcohol I still can't stop my mind from this...this.." Janet's hands dug into her hair, "I'm sorry Katrina."
"For what?" Katrina asked, gently.
"For pushing you away."
Katrina grabbed Janet's arms from behind and slowly turned her around to face her. Their noses almost touching, their bodies resting on one another. Katrina gazed into Janet's eyes, she gazed back. This was her chance. Her chance to make it up to her. She leaned in and touched her lips to Katrina's. It was a soft peck that deepened as she reached her arms around Katrina's back and into her hair. Katrina kissed back, but she felt hesitant. She pulled back gently, still clinging her hands to Janet's arms.
"Is this okay?"
She needed the confirmation. Janet nodded, "More than okay."