3.5 | riddler

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

fire was burning on your skin while maneuvering through the mass group of dancing teenagers who didnt care to fix their b.o. issues. regardless, it was a feeling unlike before, each step felt closer to the fear of the unknown yet the craving was insane.

you turned the corner and he was standing right where sasha said he'd be.

there was no delinquent guitar player, no football-playing apes, no gossip-crazy lunatic, nobody. for the first time, nobody to ruin a moment. it was almost too good to be true, but after doing a double take the coast looked clear. there was still a worry about someone popping out to teach another tacky lesson on morals. nonetheless inching closer by the second, even with the reoccurring thought to turn away in hopes it'd keep your mind at peace. feet apparently had a mind of their own and yours were destined to get to that guy.

"the riddler?"

there was only one individual dweeby enough to show up as a comic book character as inconsequential as the riddler.

"you know who i am?"

armins eyes were widened to a degree, but still nowhere as close to how widened yours had been. there he was, the boy whom you'd mentally said your farewells to in hopes of forgetting he existed days ago. the one who's been purposely playing the ghosting game to go off into the sunset with your new arch-nemesis.

you'd been mad as hell last friday, through the weekend, even up till this god forsaken very moment. yet for whatever reason when sasha mentioned armin waiting in the kitchen, it felt like some sickeningly sweet destiny. that was the only explanation for this intense face-to-face confrontation.

had he came with annie? what would annie have been? did the riddler have a girlfriend? those questions were only scrapping the barrel though, there were so many more to be asked.

it began to taste bittersweet, able to chat like old times but knowing that's as far as things could go from now on. there were no more trips to the aquarium or spontaneous shoulder laying at the movie theater. there were no check ups anymore, there was someone else to look out for. it was definitely jumping the gun, but it would be selfish to doubt their relationship.

but there he stood, an unusual teasing little grin sprawled up against his lips almost as if he'd been method acting the character. it was out of his own character after all, and it was attractive, but there would be no faltering of feelings. not to say you were one to hold grudges, however he needed to understand how bothered the whole situation made you. saying what was said, leaving you out so far without any communication, and not breaking the silence for a whole week.

"i have brothers."

armins eyes fell much softer, smiling a much kinder smile.

"a drink for the lady!"