Starting Out

My name is Marina Phillips and I'm seven years old. Four years ago, my mom had given birth to a boy with black hair and brown eyes. His name is Jacob and now, he's four years of age. In case you're wondering, my entire family is darker skinned and only I have green eyes. We live in Resembool, not far from the Elric's and the Rockbells. Today, since it's a sunny day, Jacob and I went to go play with Winry Rockbell and brothers Edward and Alphonse Elric. Jacob stood not far from me as I knocked on the door to the Elric house. Their mom answered the door and smiled when she saw it was us. "Hi guys," she greeted. She then looked over her shoulder and called, "Ed, Al. It's Marina and Jacob." Two sets of footsteps thudded down the stairs and not long after, Ed and Al appeared at the door. "Hey guys!" Ed said with a smile. Al smiled as well and said, "Hello!" Jacob and I said hello as well. "Want to go to play with Winry?" Jacob asked. The brothers smiled and nodded. "Yeah!" They exclaimed. "Stay safe," their mom said before Jacob and I took Ed and Al by the hand, bringing them to Winry's house. Apparently Winry had seen us coming for she came out of her house with a huge smile on her face. "Hi Winry!" Ed and I greeted at the same time. "Hey Winry," Jacob and Al followed not long after. "Hello guys!" Winry replied. The five of us went and played for hours on end. When we were done playing, we lied in the grass and stared at the sky, pointing out different cloud shapes. None of us knew what was yet to come. All of a sudden, there was an explosion from one of the houses, causing us to jump and look to where it came from. What we saw made our eyes widen, mine and Jacob's out of horror. Something had gone wrong and there was a fire somewhere in the house Jacob and I had grown up in. Jacob and I rushed over to see if our parents were still inside. Ed, Al, and Winry called out to us in an attempt to get us to stop and come back. Nothing could stop us though. We pretty much ran into the house and looked about. "Mom? Dad?" I called out. "Are you in here?" Smoke was moving through the house as the fire spread. It was then that we heard a sound and went to where we thought it was. Two figures were slumped against the wall and there was another figure standing nearby, seemingly unaffected by the smoke. The person's hair made her (I'm guessing it's a her) look like a palm tree. "What do you think you're doing?" I shouted. The person turned to look at Jacob and I with dark eyes. "Well, well, well, look at who we have here. It would seem the offspring were stupid enough to come into a burning building." Odd. The unknown person sounds much like a guy. I was brought out of my thoughts when the other started laughing. Looking up, I saw the person getting closer and it was then that I saw a weird looking tattoo on his or her body. "You really should not have come here," it said. Out of nowhere, Jacob flew past and started attacking as best he could. It didn't work though because he was kicked away. "You son of a bitch!" I said angrily. "Let's not be hasty now," it told me before picking up Jacob and I, carrying us out of the house as the firefighters arrived. I was kicking and screaming while Jacob didn't move. It dropped us next to Ed, Al, and Winry before speaking. "You two got lucky this time." After saying that, it walked away like nothing happened. "Who was that?" Ed asked. Jacob shrugged. "It has a weird tattoo," I said. The others looked at me like I was crazy. "I didn't see any tattoo," Al said. "Neither did I," Winry piped. Looking at them, I said six words. "I want to be an Alchemist." "I'll join you," Jacob said. When we said that, Ed and Al's faces lit up. "We're learning alchemy right now! We can teach you what we know and then keep learning from there," Ed told. A smile crossed both mine and Jacob's faces. Within a few months, we were learning alchemy alongside our friends Edward and Alphonse Elric.