CHAPTER 80 || Coldness

When they wake up the next morning, Mark is very surprised that he wakes up by himself and not by one of his sons jumping excitedly on the bed like the last days. He closes his eyes once more with relish and sighs comfortably.

Nando, lying on his chest, opens his eyes blinking and looks around slightly irritated before dropping his head again and making himself comfortable on Mark once more.

"I'm surprised neither Yuki nor Stoffel are running around the room screaming because they want to get out in the snow." Murmurs the Spaniard. Mark grumbles in agreement and adds, "I'd be the least surprised about Carlos. The boy has seen snow twice in his life, if at all."

But they don't think about it any further and just enjoy the silence, which is very rare in such a big house.

Charles and Max are the first two to wake up involuntarily. Arthur comes rushing into the room and shouts completely in his brother's ear to wake him up. "Lève-toi Charlie! Tu as promis de faire un bonhomme de neige avec moi!" He shouts excitedly. [Get up Charlie! You promised to build a snowman with me!]

"Descends un peu Arthur, la neige ne va pas te quitter!" Charles growls and mercilessly shoos the younger man out of the room, which is why Arthur is now sitting sulking in the living room. [Come back down Arthur, the snow won't run away from you!]

One by one, everyone wakes up and gathers in the kitchen. Making the food gets a bit chaotic but after about an hour everyone has what they want and happily eats their breakfast.

After breakfast, the younger ones naturally want to go outside in the snow. For several, it is actually the first time they see the cold white in real life.

The younger ones run out under Mick's and Max's guidance. The two know how to behave in the icy north in the mountains and what the dangers are. Armed with ice skates and hockey sticks, they set off to the Ihmeiden järvi. [Lake of wonder]

The older ones, on the other hand, make themselves comfortable in front of the fire. Even though Valtteri, Kevin and Hulk had decided that the younger ones could not be left alone in nature.

They sit together around a blazing fire and unpack stories about races and battles with their husbands.

Mark, with a gleam in his eye, starts the storytelling session. "Fernando, remember that epic duel in Malaysia back in 2013? The rain was pouring, and we went wheel-to-wheel for several laps. It was one of those moments that define our sport."

Fernando chuckles, "Ah, yes, Mark. I couldn't believe the intensity of that race. It's moments like those that make Formula 1 so unforgettable."

Kimi, leaning back with his signature nonchalant demeanor, chimes in, "Sebastian and I had our share of battles too, especially at Lotus and Ferrari. That time in Abu Dhabi in 2012 when I told my engineer to 'leave me alone, I know what I'm doing' became quite famous."

Sebastian grins, "Kimi, you always had a way with words. But that race, it was something else. We pushed each other to the limit."

Nico, sitting next to Lewis, recalls, "Speaking of intense rivalries, Lewis and I had some epic battles during our time at Mercedes. That clash in Bahrain in 2014 where we exchanged positions several times was nerve-wracking, but it showcased the level of competition in our team."

Lewis nods, "Absolutely, Nico. Those moments pushed us to improve and helped the team grow stronger."

Jenson and Romain, the quieter of the group, finally share their own story. "Romain, do you remember Monaco in 2013? That crazy race where we both managed to finish on the podium for McLaren and Lotus, respectively? It was unforgettable," Jenson says with a smile.

Romain nods, "Indeed, Jenson. That was a day to remember for both of us."

The drivers have a good time and switch from race stories to funny events that happened off the track.

"I can still remember Max telling us during the winter break how much he missed Formula 1. Seb built him an F1 car out of snow. Even adapted to Max's size. Max was 5 at the time." Kimi laughingly recounts this very cute moment.

"Jenson, how did you two actually get together?" Mark suddenly asks. Romain can't suppress an amused smirk and Jenson explains with a smile "After Romain won the ROC in 2012, he suddenly stood outside my hotel room in the evening instead of celebrating. He just said he didn't want to celebrate without me and pulled me with him. In the course of the evening we kissed and got together."

"Didn't expected that from Romain." Laughs Nando and the Swiss just shrugs his shoulders with a grin.

"How are things with the kids?" Kimi asks and Lewis reaches for his mobile to ask his best friend. "Valtteri says it's a medium disaster." He gives the less than reassuring answer. Nico stands up, grabs a bottle of water and takes a sip before handing it to Nando.

Lewis quickly realises it's not water but vodka, but takes a drink anyway. Or even more so.