Chapter 4: Determination

When she arrived at the gardens, she saw paramedics taking him away on a gurney. She ran as fast as she could to be by his side. "Eric..." Ariana said. "Who are you?" One of the paramedics asked. "I'm his older sister. Please let me go with him." Ariana said. He nodded and she went into the ambulance, being next to her little brother.

They arrived at the hospital, and Ariana was in the waiting room, waiting for Eric's result. "Miss Ariana?" A doctor asked. "Is he going to be alright?" Ariana asked. The doctor was silent for a second and sighed. "We found out that your younger brother is diagnosed with leukemia." The doctor said.

He felt her eyes blurring up. "May I... See him?" Ariana asked. "Yes." The doctor answered and showed her to Eric's room. The doctor whispered to her, "He doesn't know that he has this, so it wouldn't be a good idea to not mention it to him yet." And left her alone with her little brother. "Big sister... What happened?" Eric asked. "Zain told me that you suddenly fainted in the gardens, but you'll be fine." Ariana said trying to fight her sadness. "Will I be able to go home soon?" Eric asked. "You will." Ariana said. "I'm glad that it's nothing, but it's weird that I did faint." Eric said.

She was trying her best to fight back her tears as her heart felt like it was being crushed. "You get some rest and I'll see you in a little bit. I need to... Freshen up." Ariana said and pulled up the blanket to cover Eric. She kissed him on the forehead and left the room.

She went outside and felt like she was ready to breakdown. "No... I have to be strong..." Ariana thought. "Ariana!" Roberto called out.

She saw the six princes rushing towards her. "You guys..." Ariana said. "Is Eric going to be alright?" Roberto asked. "Y-Yeah..." Ariana said chocked up. "Don't lie to us." Glenn said. "I'm... Not." Ariana said fighting her sadness. "Is it bad?" Keith asked. "How long does he have to stay?" Joshua asked. "He's... Going to be fine... Don't worry..." Ariana said with tears filling up her eyes.

Wilfred saw the pain in her eyes and hugged her. "You don't have to tell us right now, but when you're feeling better. You can." Wilfred said. She couldn't hold back her tears anymore and let it all out. All of the princes assumed that she will tell them bad news and couldn't bear to see her in that state.

After she had calmed down, she had told them about Eric's problem and they all grunted. "That can't be..." Edward said. "But he's so young..." Roberto said. "Why..?" Glenn asked and grinded his teeth. Joshua and Keith looked down sympathetically. "We all need to find someone who can donate a bone marrow. What is his blood type?" Wilfred asked. "AB. Just like me." Ariana said. "Maybe you can help him." Roberto said. "Maybe. But..." Ariana said. "But what?" Roberto asked. "I'm... Scared to go through that. I want to, but... I'm really scared..." Ariana said.

Edward put his hand on her shoulder. "If you think about your younger brother, you will feel less frighten since you know you're doing it for him." Edward said. She looked down, trying to fight the tears that kept coming out. "I'll... Think about it..." Ariana said.

                                                                ***

It's been close to two months since Eric has been in the hospital. At home, Ariana has been depressed by locking herself in her room, not interacting with anyone even if they tried to talk to her. Eric has been getting chemotherapy and wondering why he needs it.

On one of the days, Ariana was visiting him. "Big sister... The things they're doing to me hurts so much... When can I go home?" Eric asked crying.

She was putting on her bravest face. "You're almost done." Ariana said. "But... Why do I have to go through this?" Eric asked. "It's hard to tell him... I want him to continue smiling and being happy, but... I feel like that's going to end..." Ariana thought.

She sighed and looked him right in the eyes. "Eric, please forgive me... I've been hiding something from you. It's hard for me to say this, but... There's something wrong with you..." Ariana said. "What?" Eric asked. "You have..." Ariana said and tears were going down her face. "Big sister... It's ok... I'll accept what I have." Eric said. "You have... Leukemia..." Ariana said and tears went down her face.

He looked down but gave a little smile. "That's nothing to worry about!" Eric said smiling. Not expecting that reaction, she grunted. "I can fight through this and get cured in no time! I will get better! For you, big sister!" Eric said. "Eric... You're so brave." Ariana said and hugged him and sobbed on him. "Big sister... I want you to always smile. I don't want you to cry." Eric said. That comment made her cry even more.

She went out of his room and let out a huge sigh. "I'm going to do it..." Ariana said to herself and made her way towards the doctor office.