The Match Lists!

Sophie was trembling in fear as she and her close friends, Dex, Marella, Linh, Tam, Fitz, Biana, and...Keefe, sat in a room together, opening their match lists. Well, except Sophie because of the 'unmatchable' situation. 

      "You okay Foster?" Keefe asked her with genuine concern. Then he leaned in and whispered, "I don't care if we're a bad match, okay?" He looked at her with a warm smile, that had Sophie's heart melting. 

      Sophie couldn't help but steal a glance at Fitz, and no surprise, he was glaring at the way Keefe had twined their fingers together. 

      Biana interrupted the awkward silence by clearing her throat, "So...should we open these lists?!" Everyone nodded in agreement and Sophie looked at her boots, clinking the little prattles pins Keefe had strapped on there, including Krakie.

      The sound of rustling made her glance up, only to find Fitz and Linh staring at each other, in a way that made Sophie feel very sick in the stomach, for Linh's future of course, even though she could always just knock him over with a few waves.

      "I have you as my 16th choice, wh.." Fitz said trailing off when he glanced at Sophie, who was now leaning on Keefe for emotional support.

      "I have you as my 36th choice." Linh said, glancing at her brother's face who looked.. There wasn't anything to describe Tam's face..who was blushing, for like the first time in FOREVER.

      "So...you got Marella?" Biana asked, following Tam's gaze. To be honest, she sounded a bit. . . disappointed.

      Tam's face turned tomato red and Marella started braiding her honey blond hair into small, intricate braids.

      " I..did...as my... 4th choice." Everyone gasped as Marella barely whispered,"Me too.." 

      "CONGRATULATIONS, Bangs Boy! You actually got something other than a shadow to like you!" Keefe said teasingly.

       Tam's face turned redder as he looked at Marella who was trying pretty hard not to blush, and Tam hid his face as he blushed behind his bangs.

      "Sooooo ... I got DEX!!" Biana nearly screamed as she jumped up onto the couch. Once again another tomato red face both from Dex and Biana as Biana clapped a hand over her mouth and stumbled off of the couch." I did too, Biana." Dex said with hints of joy, at least that's what Sophie thought.

     Biana turned to Keefe and Sophie "So, Keefe and Soph... oh sorry Sophie I didn't mean to-" Sophie cut her off 

    "No, It's ok! Really!" She gave Biana her most convincing smile.

      "Sure." Fitz snorted. Keefe shot him a glare and Biana frowned, "Dude, what's your problem. Get over her, she clearly got over you." Keefe motioned to himself. 

      Sophie mouthed 'thanks' to Keefe, and he smirked back at her, and that made Sophie want to tackle and hug him, but she resisted doing that.

       But that just got Fitz really mad."Please, she only pretends to like you so she can earn my forgiveness for kissing you before me, she clearly still likes me." Fitz said. 

      Everyone gasped and took a step back.Sophie's.jaw.dropped, "THAT IS A LIE! I LIKE KEEFE BECAUSE HE DOESN'T ACT LIKE A JERK! I AM SO OVER YOU!''Sophie snapped.

      "Foster, breathe."Keefe whispered really close to her ear. A look of hurt and pain crossed over Fitz's shimmering teal eyes.

      "Oh, so you wouldn't be mad if I kissed Linh?" He shot back. Linh turned pale. Tam growled. Biana looked away. Dex ruffled iggy. Marella kept braiding. Keefe put a hand on her shoulder.

       But Sophie wasn't backing down, " The only reason I would ever feel bad about any of that would be if I forgot to warn Linh about your anger issues." Sophie snarled. 

       "Anger issues? Anger issues?" Fitz laughed a dark laugh, "Is it wrong to be angry when you start making decisions that could kill someone?"

       Sophie.was.shocked. Keefe looked really angry, like he wanted to use his new numbing power on him. 

       Sophie got up from her chair and quietly stalked away, but she could hear their conversation from the other room, "Dude, why did you say that...you know Foster tries her hardest to keep us out of the battles and stuff... It's not her fault Umber stabbed her in the wrist. I'm gonna go talk to her, and don't bother coming." Keefe told Fitz. 

      Sophie heard Keefe's footsteps silently padding across the room. He opened the door and peeked his ice blue eyes and perfectly tousled blonde hair, Keefe walked in and sat on the bed next to her, he had a worry crease in between his eyebrows.

      "It's okay, Keefe!" She tried. But he shook his head and took her hands in his, "Foster, you know what Fitz said is a lie, right?", he asked. Sophie looked down, "But it is true, I almost killed Dex, Fitz, and you! I KILLED Mr.Forkle, Kenric, and-"

      Keefe cut her off." No, the Neverseen did that, and you tried your best not to let it happen, okay?" Sophie nodded and he smiled. 

She hugged him, " You know your boyfriend is always here for you-" He stopped when he caught Sophie staring at him, " Oh I didn't mean to take that step without asking-", Sophie cut him off, " No, I love that." she told Keefe, as she squeezed him tighter.

 Keefe tilted his head up to kiss her forehead, and then pulled her to her feet. " Promise me you won't ever, EVER, think that again, okay?" Sophie nodded as he twined their fingers together and they went back to regroup.