xiv

I knew it was Luke the moment I saw him. He was wearing the same hoodie as before. It was my chance to return his guitar pic without him realizing who I was. Hugging him though, felt like I was going to melt into his arms. I was lucky enough to drop the pic in his pocket without him noticing.

I'm so glad I was able to leave before he realized it was me. I'm not sure what I would've done if I looked into those eyes.

Luke

I slowly walked back to the hotel we were staying at. I held the pic in my hand. Who was that? It couldn't have been Karter right? Was this my sign to call her? To finally forgive her and move on?

In the hotel room, I saw Flynn with Calum. "Where did you go mate?" Calum questioned me.

"For a walk." I say. "I uh found my guitar pic." My voice was emotionless. "Do you guys think I should call her?" They both looked up to me.

"Call who?" Flynn asked.

I sighed. "Karter," just saying her name sent chills down my body.

"Why the sudden change of heart?" Calum questioned.

"I met this girl on the beach. I was hiding my face from her but I don't know something about her reminded me of Karter." I explained.

"If you think you can handle it, then do it." Flynn said. "But we are having a few friends over and I kind of might've already invited her." He flashes an innocent smile at me.

"Flynn, you are so lucky you're dating my best friend." I rolled my eyes at him.

Wait. Fuck she's coming here! I had to get ready. I had to look presentable.

A few hours later and the hotel room was full of some friends and some celebrities we knew. Music blared through the speakers as everyone was drinking and playing games.

I was three shots in already, without a care in the world. I needed to feel relaxed. To feel open. "Luke!" I hear Calum's voice ring through the crowd. I wave at him. "Karter's here," he was whispering so only I could hear him. Instantly I was fully sober and suddenly filled with fear.

"Cal, I don't think I can do this." I whine.

"Here take another shot, focus on your breathing. Wait here." He shoves a cup into my hand and then disappears. I down the cup and just stand there breathing. The music suddenly changed from a fast song to a slow dancing one. Everyone began pairing off.

I felt a tap on my back. "Care to dance?" I turn around and my breath is taken away. She stood there, hair curled, face all dolled up, wearing the most beautiful dress I've ever seen. She whore heels but I still towered over her small frame.

"Karter," I breathed out. "It's you." She takes me hand and leads me to the dance floor. She lays her head against my chest as we sway back and forth.

"Luke," she says. I lift her chin up so I can stare into her eyes.

"Let's not talk right now. Let's just dance." She nods and goes back to laying her head against my chest. It felt as if the world stopped and we were the only two still dancing. I felt as if we time traveled back to that first night. The one where she had asked me to dance with her, when I began to fall in love with her.

"Luke, there's a lot I need to say. Can we please go somewhere private." She mumbled into my chest. I don't respond, instead I take her hand and lead her to my adjoining suite next door. Once the door closed I couldn't hold it in much longer.