01. MAYA BENNETT

Almost there... please stop please stop please stop.

The chant feels like a prayer as I rush towards the elevator. It's my first day at Ivencorp and it's starting with a mad rush. I don't want to be late. My friends have been relentless with tales of the boss and the stories paint him as an unapproachable jerk.

I'm not sure why I chose to apply for a job here after all the things I heard, but bills have to be paid and a girl's gotta earn a living.

My heels click on the tiles as I dart into the elevator just in time.

Thank God!

The doors almost close again when a hand slips through, and a man enters, flashing me a disarming smile. "Going up?" he asks, his voice smooth and warm.

I nod, adjusting the strap of my purse nervously. "Yeah, top floor. I hope you don't have to deal with the boss up there too," I ask, stealing a quick glance at him.

He's undeniably attractive, with dark, unruly hair and a well-tailored suit that screams power and wealth. His dark eyes twinkle with amusement as he leans against the elevator wall. "Well, rumors about the boss tend to be exaggerated. But who am I to say? Maybe you'll get lucky."

I chuckle, relaxing a bit. I find his company oddly comforting. "That's good to hear. But I heard he's a real piece of work and a bit of an asshole too."

His lips curl into a wry grin. "You know, you're not the first person to say that. But don't judge too quickly. Sometimes, first impressions can be deceiving."

The elevator dings as we arrive the top floor. I step out, still engaged in our conversation, but he stays behind for a moment, lingering as if he has more to say. "Hey, do you work up here too?"

I turn back to him, curious. "Yeah, I do. Why?"

He hesitates, his eyes locks with mine for a moment before he finally replies, "Oh, no reason. Just thought it's a big place, and we might run into each other again. Have a great first day!"

Wait, how does he know it's my first day?

I wave goodbye and head to the break room, my mind still preoccupied with the mysterious man from the elevator. I need to calm my nerves, and a cup of coffee is just the remedy. As I sip my hot brew, I can't help but wonder about the handsome stranger.

My musings, however, are abruptly interrupted when my phone buzzes. It's a message from my new boss, requesting my presence in his office!

Panic surges through my veins as I finish my coffee hastily) and head down the corridor, the sound of my heels echoing in the silent hallway.

My heart beat increases when I reach the imposing door with "Luke Wheeler, CEO" etched in gold letters. I take a deep breath and knock softly before stepping inside, hoping to make a good first impression.

But as soon as my eyes meet those of the man behind the massive desk, my heart seems to stop.

Surprise washes over me. The man from the elevator - the one I had just shared an amusing conversation with - is none other than my boss, Luke Wheeler!

Shit!