06. LUKE WHEELER

As I drive away from Maya's house, her image lingers in my mind. Thoughts of her, the way she looked staring up at me from beneath those lashes, they swirl through my thoughts with a force that rivals the storm outside.

There's something about her that I can't dismiss. It's stirring up desires I never knew I had, pushing me to consider crazy things, like the thought of kissing my assistant. Luckily, I managed to resist that impulse. But it doesn't mean I didn't want to.

I still want to...

As I approach the turn that leads to my ranch, ready to put this evening's events behind me, suddenly, I hear a loud thud, and the car jolts violently as the left side dips into what I'm guessing is a gutter.

What the heck?!

Checking my surroundings, I realize there's no one in sight. I attempt to put the car in gear and drive it out of the gutter, but it refuses to budge, the wheels spinning uselessly in the air.

Just what I need.

My frustration mounts as I try again. When it becomes glaringly obvious that my car isn't going anywhere, I retrieve my phone and dial the ranch line hoping someone can come to my aid.

Dave picks up on the other end. I can hear the faint sounds of activity in the background indicating that they're still working.

Good...

"Mr Wheeler?" he greets me, his voice tinged with surprise.

"I need some assistance. My car's stuck in the gutter along the ranch road. Get a few ranch hands and bring a tow truck."

I can tell he is nodding even though I can't see it. "Sure boss. I'll gather some ranch hands and we'll be right along in a few. Sit tight."

At that, I hang up and lean back in my seat, feeling a strange mixture of exhaustion and a certain high I'd bet is a residue from my encounter with Maya.

Soon enough, Dave and a few ranch hands arrive with a tow truck. I get out to join them as we assess the situation, and it becomes evident that simply lifting the car out of the deep gutter is not a feasible option. The darkness and the danger of entering the gutter are obstacles we can't overcome and towing the car out could cause further damage to the vehicle or even worsen the situation. Especially since the wheel is severely lodged in the gutter.

Finally, one of the ranch hands suggests an alternative solution. "What if we fill up the gutter where the car has fallen in?" he proposes.

It seems like a reasonable idea, and we decide to give it a try. The ranch hands work diligently, using shovels to scoop dirt and sand from the surroundings. We pour it into the gutter, gradually raising the level to match the road's surface. It's hard work, made more challenging by the relentless rain that shows no sign of letting up.

By the time we are finished, my shirt is plastered to my body like a second skin and I can feel the cold deep in my bones, but the car can now be driven out of its watery trap so I thank the hands for their hard work and begin the slow drive home.

~V~

As I arrive home, I'm greeted by the familiar sight of my housekeeper waiting near the entrance. She has a perpetually worried expression, which deepens when she sees me.

"Mr Wheeler, I heard you had an accident. Are you all right?" she asks, concern etched across her face.

I offer her a reassuring smile. "I'm fine, Mrs Thompson. Just a minor mishap. Nothing to worry about."

"Oh well, you know I'll always worry no matter what you say."

I chuckle softly. Mrs Thompson has been with me for years, and her fussing is as much a part of my daily routine as anything else.

I head straight upstairs to my room, the sound of my wet clothes squishing and water dripping onto the tiled floor follows me. I don't worry too much about it; that's what the staff is here for, after all.

Inside my bedroom, I put a quick call to my mechanic about Ms Bennet's vehicle. Then, I peel off my wet clothes, tossing them into the laundry basket waiting on the bathroom floor. The chill from the rain still clings to my skin, and I'm eager to shed it. Stepping into the shower, I let the hot water cascade over me, washing away the discomfort of the evening's events.

The warmth of the water is soothing, and as I stand there, I replay the events in my mind - the rain, my car... and a pair of expressive eyes.

Maya...

My mind flashes back to that moment in the car when we almost kissed. I imagine how it would have felt. Her taste, her scent, her fingers running through my hair as our lips meet. I shudder, a zing of pleasure running through me as I run a hand down my chest, wishing it was hers.

Wishing she was here...

I feel possessed. I've never lusted after a woman like this.

Is it lust?

I don't know, but I've never felt this way. I feel like my mind isn't mine. Like someone else is pushing my buttons, killing me sweetly without even trying. A groan escapes my lips as my fingers close lightly over my throbbing hard on.

My eyes squeeze shut, as my mind conjures memories of her and that infernal dress she wore tonight.

How the rain plastered the material to her curves like a second skin...

My muscles tense at the visuals it triggers. I feel like I've got hot poison running through my veins.

But I don't want an antidote... I want her.