03. LUKE WHEELER

"Going up?"

In the elevator, I find myself standing beside a woman who - to put it mildly - exudes an alluring charm and it makes me uncomfortable immediately. Unfortunately, it's the good kind of discomfort, one that I'd rather not acknowledge.

"Maya Bennett," she says as she introduces herself, and I can't help but notice the sensuous curve of her lips as she speaks.

Yeah, I know I'm being a total creep, but it's not just her beauty that captivates me. It's her smile and the way she carries herself with self-assured confidence. And her perfume...

I wonder what fragrance it is?

The scent is subtle, and yet it lingers tantalizingly in the confined space. The way her dress clings to her curves, hinting at a figure that my eyes - against my better judgment - can't help but linger on.

Her effect on me is mind boggling...

I've always prided myself in my ability to maintain control, to keep my emotions firmly in check. But in that elevator, something shifts and suddenly I'm reacting to her like a horny teenager.

Then she had to go and call me an asshole.

Cheeky...

But the incident with the "asshole" comment barely registers as a blip on my radar.

Seriously, I've heard worse.

So what's the big deal with this one? She's not my first employee. I've seen countless employees come and go, and most blend into the background, forgotten as soon as they leave my office. But Maya... she's different. She stands out in a way that both intrigues and frustrates me.

So why am I being so hard on her?

The answer remains elusive even to me. Perhaps it's my way of making her pay for it. Even a little bit. Or maybe, just maybe, there's something about her that stirs a long-buried desire for a challenge.

Deep down, I know I'm treading dangerous territory. I should probably fire her for it. But Maya Bennett has ignited something in me, a spark of fascination that refuses to be extinguished.

And I hate it...