Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Days like this, I don't want to drive away-ay," I quietly sang to myself as I finished up my summer assignment for English tomorrow. I can't believe summer's over tonight. It seriously felt like it just started yesterday.

As I closed my notebook, I felt my right headphone being pulled out of my ear. I heaved a long, exasperated sigh and turned towards my youngest brother, who just stood there like he didn't just interrupt my favorite part of the song.

Typical.

"What Ashton?" I asked annoyed as I started throwing my hair into a floppy bun. "You know I hate it when people take out my headphones." I finished tying it and looked at him.

"Sorry," he said, not feeling the slightest bit sorry. "Mom told me to tell you that dinner is almost ready. We're having chicken and rice."

I nodded my head, paused my music, pulled out my other headphone, and followed my 15 year old brother down the winding stair case. And in case you're wondering, no my parents aren't rich, but we aren't poor either. We don't live in a mansion. We don't have maids or personal cooks. What we do have is a two story house with four bedrooms, three bathrooms and an outdoor house that my sister Hayden lives in when she comes home from college. It's more like a tiny cottage.

When I walked into the kitchen, my Mom's 5' 11" stature was turned away from me stirring the rice, but somehow she still heard me.

"Hey Kal, can you set the table please?"

"Mmhm," I mumbled. After I placed the six plates and forks on the table, I walked over to the table and sat down in my usual spot, next to Ashton and my Dad. I looked around the table and noticed two of my siblings were missing.

"Hey Mom, where's Hayden and Cole? I know Hayden is flying home tonight, but what about Cole?" I wondered. She looked over her shoulder, looking a little disappointed.

"Hayden's flight got delayed a couple hours and I don't know where your brother is. He told me he was going out with his friends and that he'd be home an hour ago." I just nodded and pulled my phone out of my pocket to check my messages.

None. No surprise there.

Just then I heard our front door open up and slam shut.

"Mom I'm sorry, I lost track of time and then there was traffic and," my oldest brother Cole came running in, but Mom cut him off.

"It's fine." She said in a tone that let him know it's not fine. "Just text me next time you're going to be late when your out with friends. If not, you can say goodbye to me letting you go out," and just when you think she's done, she says something else. "What's the point of giving you a phone if you aren't even going to use it?" Mom sighed while running her hands through her brown locks. Something I've noticed she does when she's stressed. I looked over at Cole and he looked confused.

"Um because you love me." He said in a 'duh' tone while pulling out his phone. "Don't be a smart ass," Mom shook her head and turned off the stove.