Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Waking up the next morning was harder than I thought it would be. I didn't get to sleep until close to 11:30, and since I have to wake up at 6:30 every morning to get ready for school, you could say I wasn't in the best mood.

I went to my bathroom, deciding it was best to take a quick shower to wake me up. Once the water warmed up, I stripped out of my pajamas and hopped in. The warm water hit my back, instantly relieving my sleepy muscles. After my shower, I went back to my closet and picked out a Depeche Mode t-shirt that Mom had when she was a teenager. I also slipped on a pair of white shorts, which I then tucked the front part of the t-shirt into. Slipping on my black low-top converse, I headed back to my sink, and applied a little amount of mascara and lipgloss. Giving myself one last look, I headed downstairs.

When I reached the kitchen, I saw Mom cooking eggs on the stove, with toast already on the table.

"Morning Mom. Oh, and I'm not that hungry," I said truthfully. "I'm just going to have a piece of toast and then I'll be heading off to school." I said with a grin. She looked confused for a second, but quickly masked it with a question. "Good morning baby. Any particular reason?" I shake my head 'no'.

"Yesterday, we got to school really late, and I don't feel like I need a repeat of that. Plus, I need the exercise." Mom looked at my petite frame and chuckled.

"Kaleigha, if anything, you need to gain some muscle, not lose it. But if you want, go ahead. I'll just tell your brother that you won't be needing a ride." She said politely, turning her attention back to the eggs. I thanked her, grabbed my toast, and headed towards the front door.

Today was a particularly warm day with a few scattering clouds. Now don't get me wrong, I loved it; but I probably should've thought this whole 'walking to school' idea through before actually going through with it. It felt around 84 degrees Fahrenheit, which only meant it only was supposed to get hotter. Wonderful.

I decided to pull out my headphones and listen to one of my many playlists. I hit play and Georgia by Vance Joy came on. I smiled on the inside because this is one of my absolute all-time favorites. And it kinda reminds you like you're at the beach, so it fits my scenery.

Ten short minutes later, I spotted Colton View High School. I exhaled happily as I thought, finally, some AC! I made my way up to the steps of CV and opened the heavy doors.

As I was nearing my locker, I noticed someone leaning against it. And I could recognize his jet black hair almost anywhere. Austin. Taking a deep breath, I made my way over to where he was standing, clutching my books closer to my body with every step. He looked up, and I could've sworn I saw something flicker in his eyes, but as soon as I noticed it, it was gone.

"What do you want Austin?" I said sternly, even shocking myself with my strong voice. He looked taken aback as he tried to speak.

"Oh. Um. I just came here to see how you were um doing." He stuttered, I had to take a second look at him. Has he gone completely mental? Just two months ago, he cheated on me with Leah, and here he is, asking if I'm okay. Do I look okay to him? But instead, I lie.

"I'm fine. Now if you don't mind moving, I'd like to open up my locker. Class is going to start." Without even looking down at his watch, he says "Kalei, class doesn't start for another ten minutes." At the sound of my nickname he gave me, I felt tears prick me eyes. No. Do not cry in front of him. You're stronger than that.

"Don't call me that again." Shoving my books into my locker and taking the one I really only needed out for next class, I slammed my locker shut, and walked away from him. I could only imagine his face right now. Mouth agape, eyebrows up, and eyes wide open. I felt a tear threatening to fall. I quickly wiped my eyes and went to the nearest bathroom. Just as I was nearing the bathroom door, something or should I say someone ran into me, making my book collapse onto the tile with a loud bang.