Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"Hey honey! How was your first day back?" Mom asks just as I walk through the front door. I drop my bag in the entry way and slip off my shoes while closing the door.

"Fine." I keep it short and sweet and walk into the living room, finding her curled up on the couch with a book in her hand. "What are you reading?" I ask, intrigued.

"Oh just My Life Next Door. You should read it once I'm done. It's really cute." She smiles. I can tell she wishes she can go back to being a teenager again, but then again, I think every parent wishes that they could do that.

"Did Hayden already leave?" I ask and she nods her head. I also nod my head and go into the kitchen to find something to eat but my mom stops me.

"Kaleigha, don't eat anything. A co-worker of your father's is new to town, so we invited him and his family over to dinner. They'll be here around 7." She finished. I looked at the time and saw that it was already 3:30.

"Hey Mom, since I have some time, I'm gonna go upstairs, change and head out to the gym for a couple hours. Is that alright?" I ask. She nodded her head, "Just be home by 5:45." With that, I ran upstairs to get changed.

Ten minutes later, I was outside and jogging to the gym. Since we lived five minutes from the beach, everything was basically within walking distance. We had a movie theatre, a bunch of little surf themed shops that were clumped together that we called a 'mall' when it really wasn't, a park, and other town necessities. Half way during my jog, I noticed some construction workers building something that looked to be one story tall, and kind of small. I wonder what that is... I made a small stop to go ask one of the workers what they were building.

"Excuse me," I tapped an older looking man on the shoulder. He turned around and smiled. I returned the gesture and asked him what they were building.

"Oh, this is going to be a library. Nothing big, but since you guys don't have one here in Malibu, that nice lady over there thought that there should be one. So yeah," he finished. I thanked him and looked over at the woman he was talking about. She looked pretty nice, almost like my grandma. She was probably about 4' 11" with her hunch, and slightly graying hair. She glanced over at me and smiled. I waved, and figuring I should be getting to the gym, left the construction site and resumed my jog.

A short five minutes later, and I arrived at the gym. I walked in, showed them my membership card, and headed over to the pool. I always enjoyed the pool here over my own. Especially because it was Olympic sized, while mine was significantly smaller. Plus you had to be 16 or over to use it, so that excluded the annoying little kids in day care; they have their own kiddie pool. And let me tell you, if somebody offered me five million dollars to swim in it, I wouldn't do it. Those kids are gross.

The other people that come to the gym, usually stick to the weights and treadmill. The occasional passerby will only stay here for a maximum of ten minutes, before they head for the sauna. I, however, tend to stay in the pool for about and hour and then head over to the jacuzzi and let the jets massage my back.

Also, my guilty pleasure is straight across from the pool, the boxing room. That's where all the guys that look like they belong in magazines are. They're always shirtless, sweat dripping down their back, and the best part is, the room is made out of glass. Which means that you can see everything. But sadly, no one was in there.

I got a towel out of the basket, and plopped it down on one of the chairs by the pool. I was currently the only person in the pool, so I took advantage of that and went over to the diving board and dove in. As soon as the water made contact with my skin, I felt alive. Every nerve in my body was on high alert. I went up for a breath of air and started backstroking to the other end of the pool.