Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Are you going to eat?" Hayden asks me from across the table. "I spent a lot of time making this for you guys." I give her a small smile and shake my head.

"I'm sorry Hay. I just don't feel like eating right now." I push my plate full of eggs, bacon and pancakes away from me. Within seconds, my plate is attacked by my brothers. Animals. I slowly stand up and walk back up to my room while Cole and Ashton pig out.

I feel really bad for not eating because Hayden got home really early this morning and didn't even go to bed. She stayed up to make us breakfast, something that was routine for us on our first day. But to be honest, it wasn't that I wasn't hungry, because I was. It was because I was extremely nervous for school. I tried to keep my distance from people over the summer. I would avoid all the popular hang out spots, and I even managed to avoid the beach. That wasn't that hard though because I've never really felt comfortable in my own skin. But most of all, it was because Austin Paisley was going to be there. Now let me tell you a little story about my wonderful ex-boyfriend. Note the sarcasm.

Okay, so on the last day of school, me and him were planning on going to the beach for an end of the year bonfire with other kids from our class, and we did.

Everything was going great until around 10 o'clock. Around 9:55 I went to find a bathroom because when you gotta go, you gotta go, you know? So after I finished up, I went back to where Austin and I were standing, but I couldn't find him. It was a little odd because he could've waited to until I got back to let me know where he was. I wondered aimlessly around the barely lit beach and you want to know what I saw? Do you really? Cause you are. I found him on the sand, undressing another girl. And do you want to know who that 'other girl' was? Of course you do. She was my best friend. Now she's my sworn enemy. After I saw that, tears welled up I my eyes and I ran. I ran as fast as my legs would carry me. I ran all the way to my car and the rest of it was a blur. All I remember is tears falling down my cheeks. It was like a desert not getting any water and now, it was flooding.

So yeah. You could see why I don't really want to go to school today.

Knock knock

"Come in." I sighed. I already knew who it was.

"Are you okay, Kal? You seemed pretty upset down there?" I looked over my shoulder at Hayden and gave her a small smile. Oh if she only knew.

"Yeah I'm fine, just nervous for school. You know, first day jitters!" I smiled a little bigger to see if she would buy it.

She did.

Nothing else was said after that. She left me to myself to get ready for school. I lazily walked over to my closet and picked out a flowy, floral tank top, white jeans that I rolled up to look like capris, and silver flip flops. I didn't even try to do anything with my hair. I just brushed it, and braided it to the side. I'm not really into makeup so I jut applied a light coat of mascara. I grabbed my bag off my door and headed downstairs. Cole and Ash were already waiting for me by the door.

"Sorry," I apologized as I was walking through the front door. Once we were in the car, Cole turned on his music and I slowly sunk into my own world. The world where I didn't have a care in the world. The world where I wasn't bullied, Austin didn't cheat on me and 'blame it on the alcohol', and mostly, the world where I was free to be me.

Before I knew it, my world was abruptly shattered. I woke up in the reality of Colton View High. Just great!

Cole parked his car and gave Ashton some 'senior advice'. Yeah, like his advice is going to help him.