Philippians 1

We'll begin our study by reading Philippians 1. Once you've said a prayer and finished reading, join me back here to continue our study.

Focus Verse

Philippians 1: 21 (NKJV)

"For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain." 

Breaking it Down

Verses 1-11

► In these verses, Paul stresses that he's thankful for the support of the Philippians and that he thinks of them and prays for them regularly. 

► Paul wants to visit with the Philippians. 

►  Paul sends a word of encouragement to the Philippians, saying that he is confident that "He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ" (V. 6). He also prays that the Philippians would have abounding love in knowledge and discernment, so that they may be "sincere and without offense till the day of Jesus Christ" (V. 9-10). 

Verses 12-20

► Throughout these verses, Paul finds joy and comfort in his situation (imprisonment).  He notes that his only chains are in Christ and finds comfort in knowing that, because of his situation, others have been made more confident to boldly speak the word without fear (V. 13-14). 

► Paul briefly speaks of those who preach Christ for different reasons in verses 15-18. Though some preach out of "envy and strife," others preach out of "goodwill" (V. 15). Either way, Paul says, what matters is that "Christ is preached," and for that, he will rejoice (V. 18).  

► He knows that both his imprisonment and other's preaching (having been made confident through his situation) will "turn out for [his] deliverance"  (V. 19). For this, he rejoices in the Lord. 

► He explains that for the Gospel, he is bold, unashamed, and proud to be a vessel for the work of Christ. In life or in death, "Christ will be magnified in [his] body" (V. 20).  

Verses 21-26

►  In death or in life, Christ will be glorified. Paul writes, "For me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain" (V. 21). He continues, torn between life and death. 

     a. Paul has an aching "...desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better" (V. 23). 

     b. In the same breath, Paul would love to stay alive in Christ, continuing to produce fruit from his labor and teaching the Gospel. He writes, "...to remain in the flesh is more needful for you" (V. 24). He continues, confident that life is the best choice, saying "...I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy of faith" (V. 25).

Verses 27-30

► In these last few verses, Paul leaves the Philippians with instructions and guidance on their conduct. 

► He notes that a believer's conduct should "...be worthy of the gospel of Christ...", and that believers should "...stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel" (V. 27). 

► Paul encourages the Philippians to not be afraid of their adversaries. All believers will face adversaries, but this isn't something to be feared. Rather, it's something to be thankful for. Paul writes, "For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake, having the same conflict which you saw in me and now hear is in me" (V. 29-30).

Study Notes

► Interesting note: In this book, Paul presents himself as a servant of Christ (V. 1) rather than an apostle, as he had done in many of his letters to other churches.