Philippians 3

We'll begin our study by reading Philippians 3. Once you've said a prayer and finished reading, join me back here to continue our study.

Focus Verses

Philippians 3: 20-21 (NKJV)

20. "For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,

21. "who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself."  

Breaking it Down

Verses 1-11

► In these first few verses, Paul takes an interesting stance. For context, the traditional Jewish belief surrounding circumcision is that it is part of what makes them clean/right before God, in that it is following the law. Paul paints circumcision in a different light. Rather than circumcision of the flesh, he portrays true circumcision as being of the heart, being made new through worshipping God in the Spirit, rejoicing in Christ, and having no confidence in the flesh (V. 3). 

     a. Following the law alone will not save us or cleanse us before God. The only thing that can cleanse us in the eyes of God is salvation through the belief in Jesus Christ. 

►  Paul shuts down any boasting about confidence in the flesh. In a nutshell, he says that if anyone should boast in the flesh, it should be him: 

     a. He was circumcised according to law, was zealous, and persecuted "the church, concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless" (V. 6). He checked off all of the religious boxes for what to do according to law. 

► However, in spite of all of those things, Paul sets it all aside in favor of gaining Christ. He says, "But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ" (V. 7-8).   

► Setting aside all gains and counting them as losses for Christ's sake led Paul to know Christ, "the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death" (V. 10). 

Verses 12-15

► Paul expresses that he is, by no means, perfect. Even so, he presses "toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" (V. 12, 14). 

► He stresses that though he is not perfect, and is apprehended (he was in prison as he wrote these letters), he forgets "those things which are behind and [reaches] forward to those things which are ahead" (V. 13). 

Verses 16-21

► Paul encourages believers to follow in his example, walking "by the same rule" and being "of the same mind" (V. 16). 

► There is a battle between good and evil, and it doesn't stop for believers or non-believers. Paul is brought to tears by those who "are the enemies of the cross of Christ," which are many (V. 18). Because there are many who walk in the paths opposite of ours, who are enemies of Christ and ourselves, it's important to continue following in the examples set by Christ, Paul, and other Biblical figures such as the Apostles.

► Paul gives us insight into what these "enemies" look like - not physically, but in their spiritual makeup. Their "end is destruction," their "god is their belly," and their "glory is in their shame," as they "set their mind on earthly things" (V. 19). It is also said in verse two that these are "dogs" and "evil workers,"  and warns us to "beware of the mutilation."