Philippians 4

We'll begin our study by reading Philippians 4. Once you've said a prayer and finished reading, join me back here to continue our study.

Focus Verse

Philippians 4: 13(NKJV)

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Breaking it Down

Verses 1-7

► Paul begins by urging the Philippians to help the women who labored with him in the gospel (V. 3). He implores Euodia and Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord, a recurring theme throughout the book of Philippians (to be of one accord) (V. 2). 

► He continues, full of joy, and spreading such joy to the Philippians as he tells them to "Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice" (V. 4)!

► We are to be gentle in our lives, letting our "gentleness be known to all men," for "The Lord is at hand" (V. 5). 

     a. Gentleness can take many forms. A baseline definition of gentleness can be taken from the Merriam-Webster dictionary; "The quality or state of being gentle, especially mildness of manners or disposition." (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gentleness). 

► Paul tells us, not asking, to "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God" (V. 6). Doing so has a direct result; "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (V. 7). 

Verses 8-9

► In verse 8, Paul guides us on the things we should meditate on. These things should be: 

     a. True

     b. Noble

     c. Just

     d. Pure

     e. Lovely

     f. Of good report

     g. Anything that is virtuous and praiseworthy

► Paul encourages readers to take after him, applying what they have learned, received, heard, and saw in him, in their own lives so that "the God of peace will be with [us]" (V. 9).  

Verses 10-20

►Here, Paul reiterates his appreciation for the Philippians, as they continuously showed their care and shared in his distress (V. 10, V. 14). 

► He gives us a short lesson on contemptment. 

     a. To be content is to remain in a state of happiness/satisfaction in the midst of one's situation, body, mind, and spiritual state. 

     b. Paul has gone through imprisonment, horrible treatment from others, gossip spread about him (especially when he was first saved), and a number of other things. 

Because of these experiences, Paul has learned the power of contentment. He says, "I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need" (V. 11-12). 

► With a mind focused on eternity and an attitude of contemptment, Paul tells us, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (V. 13). This is encouraging, a note that we too can do all things through the strength of Christ. 

► Paul thanks the Philippians for their generosity, as they were the only church who shared with him in giving and receiving (V. 15). He says that he did not seek the gift from the Philippians, but rather "the fruit that abounds to [their] account" (V. 17).