Chapter 22 - I hate you.

TW: drug mentions, violence, blood. ‼️
Especially impressionable aren't recommended to read it.

The latest events, where I learned about the death of my best friends and stayed with Rafe for an indefinite time, happened a week ago. I've gotten really close to Wheezie, or better yet, losing Sarah has brought us closer. Rose tried to be nice to me, even though we rarely met. I didn't see Ward at all. At first, Rafe was able to give me the support I needed, but this was not always the case, because he himself had his own problems. Even though my wound was so deep that it would never fully heal, I needed to treat Rafe's many wounds. I had to pretend that I didn't have any animosity toward Topper or Kelce. But they clearly did not hide their feelings for me. They couldn't understand how the "kook prince," the son of Ward Cameron himself, was hanging out with a 16-year-old girl from the Cut. But honestly, I didn't care about their opinions. That was really the last thing I cared about.

The school year has already begun. The first day was worse than when I first moved here. After all, I had no friends again. The John B memorial near the school only brought the problems back into focus. The pogues, as expected, did not pay attention to me, and then completely ran away from the lesson. It was strange, but it was no longer my business.

Today Rafe was going to play golf with his friends. I should have gone with him. This was, to some extent, my new life. No more cops on my tail, no more ex-prisoners who tried to kill me, no more wandering around other people's houses, digging up dirt, looking for gold. And more importantly, no parents. Just golf clubs, silk sheets and expensive alcohol.

"Wheezie, lunch is getting cold!" Rose's voice sounded.

Rose and I were setting the table on the Camerons' summer terrace. Nearby are bushes of tea roses. Their aroma pleasantly reached us. Today we had lunch with fish and vegetables. Also, there were two bottles of pink lemonade on the table.

"Oh, my favorite raspberry pie!" the girl said as soon as she appeared on the terrace. Pointing to dessert.

"Rafe, where is your father?" Rose asked.

"He has things to do." Rafe replies shortly.

I was worried about the huge number of things the elder Cameron had to do. But I was also glad not to see him.

It was quiet at the dinner table. It was strange to pretend that the eldest daughter of the family had not died a week ago. But everyone needed to move on.

***

Rafe and I drove to the golf course. As it turns out, it wasn't just Topper and Kelce who came today. But also other kooks. I felt uncomfortable, but I was with Rafe.

"Rafe, my friend, I haven't seen you for a long time!" Redhead guy approached.

"Hey Sean, yeah." Rafe says awkwardly.

"Well, should we play already?" Topper climbed in.

"Come on!" said Kelce.

"Oh by the way, hi Selina," Topper said, causing the others to pay attention to me. I tried not to seem
embarrassing.

"Hello." I said dryly.

This guy, Sean, looked me over before they started playing.

Time passed slowly. I was really bored. But I tried not to catch myself thinking that I missed the life of a pogue. I was distracted from my efforts by the vibration of my phone in my skirt pocket. I saw a message from...JJ? I tensed up while suppressing the premature joy inside.

"The pier on the east side of the island is at 9 pm today, we need to talk."

I read it and didn't believe my own eyes. Does JJ need to talk to me? But about what? It looked as suspicious and official as possible... but I'll go.