Seven: The Man Fate Took Away From Me

“It’s official. Next time, I’m driving.” I declare as Badr parks in front of a supermarket.

Turning off the ignition, he turns to me and claps, “Just one small mistake.”

“Which kain?” I flip him off, “Just admit that you don’t know how to drive, shikena.”

He hisses and shakes his head. “Human beings. Just one small slip, you’ll just shred the person completely.” He climbs out.

I frown. Why does it sound as if he’s talking about someone else? Then I recall what happened earlier, the call with his mom, the look on his face, the reason for our little accident. I grab my purse and leave the car. I meet him leaning against the back door. “I’m sorry.” I say.

He turns, blinking in confusion. “About what?”

I smile, “What I said. That was rude. I was only joking.”

“What makes you think I’m angry?”

I look down at my white pumps, then shrug. “I don’t know. I just felt bad afterwards.”

He scoffs, “You mean pity?” I sigh, about to place my hand on his shoulder, but he moves away. “I don’t need it, not from you.” He puts his hands in his pockets, “Let’s go.” Without waiting for me, he heads for the glass doors.

I watch in surprise. I should have just kept my mouth shut; now I’ve angered him. Straightening my shoulders, I follow, thinking of ways to make it up to him. Or should I ask Ummi? I wonder, heading for the set of baskets and trolleys at the corner of the all-white interior of the supermarket, from the shelfs to the staff uniforms.

I make my way toward the fruit section. It’s better I leave him for now. After purchasing few items, I go over to the frozen food section at the back, taking stock of the fresh fishes, most especially, and their prices. As I turn away, I bump into something hard. My thighs sting in response.

“Oh my God, I’m so sorry.” A female voice says, moving the trolley away. “I wasn’t paying attention, so sorry.”

“It’s fine.” I say. A girl stands before me, brown eyes behind blue rimmed glasses, looking concerned. “It’s fine.” I smile.

“Are you sure? I don’t mind driving you to the hospital.” I quickly shake my head, then look around for Badr.

“No worries. I-“

“I knew it!” A male voice interrupts from behind me. I freeze.

No way.

The girl pouts, “Nothing like that. You didn’t even see what happened.” Facing me, she smiles widely, “I’m Uyoon, but you can call me Yoona, or even Yoony.” She tilts her head as she says it.”

I smile and shake her hand. “I should go. Someone is waiting for me.” I say and quickly walk past her. Rude? Yes. But I have to do it. I quickly go to the counter.

“There you are.” Badr says, a hand on my back. I smile stiffly, watching the attendant as she empties the basket. “Hey,” Badr whispers, “Sorry about earlier. I was-“

“It’s fine.” I say quickly without looking at him. He sighs and pays while I collect the bags. Once inside the car, I release a sigh of relief. What the heck was that? I place a hand on my chest. My heart pitter-patters with no mercy.

Maybe it isn’t him. Maybe I’m just imagining things. It’s not that I even turned around. So it may not be him afterall.

I nod. But why am I feeling like this? Why am I-

The driver door opens as Badr enters. “Hey, sorry, I just saw a friend of mine.”

“No p.”

“Are you still angry with me?” He asks.

“Of course not.” I laugh, pushing his shoulder.

He watches me, then nods. “Thank God because I was starting to get worried whether I will eat this night.”

I cackle. “You’re not serious.” I shake my head. Someone knocks on my side of the window. I turn, and for the second time today, I freeze.

Nur’s eyes widen in recognition. He clears his throat, then greets Badr. “Sorry, your wife’s veil is hanging outside.”

“Oh, thanks man.” Badr says while I open the door and bring my veil in to wrap it around my shoulder. I don’t bother looking to see where he goes. Let him just stay far away from me. I leaned against my seat and place my hand on my chest, listening to the pitter-patter of my heart all the way home for the man fate took away from me.

 •••
A

ssalamu alaikum, my people.

Hope y'all have been doing well.

I just noticed that this chapter is super short.

Anyhoo, hope you had fun reading.

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share!

Love,

Zah Storyteller HQ.