Thirteen: I Hope Not

Assalamu alaikum, new week, new update.

Enjoy!

•••
This is a joke. This has to be a joke.

I look at aunt Iftar, then Badr who just shrugs like it’s no big deal. But it is!

I shake my head, “I can’t do it.” Badr glares at me. Aunt Iftar just stares, I think.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” He says, “Is it not a job you wanted?”

“Yes, but, not this. I’ve always been a tailor. It’s what I love and it’s what I’m good at.”

“And so?” He raises his shoulders. I gape at him. Is that all he can say?

Aunt Iftar clears her throat and takes a deep breath. I eye her. Is she going to scold me too? “I understand.”

Thank God.

“But I also understand trying out new things, I live by it.” She shakes her head. “And you should too.”

I sigh. Here I was thinking she’s giving me an option. “It’s just that I’ve never done assistant work for anyone before.”

“But you said you used to help your dad organize his lecture notes for the semester. This shouldn’t be too hard.” She says.

I open my mouth again when Badr raises his hand, “Aunty, thank you so much for your help. But it seems she doesn’t want the job. So it’s bett-“

“Is that what she told you?” she interrupts, turning to him. We are seated in the living room, Badr and I beside each other, and aunt Iftar across from us.

I also turn to my husband, waiting for his reply. His behaviour is something else entirely. But I’m trying to not be surprised.

“Uh, well,” he falters, “see the way she was replying as if you’re begging her.” He sends an annoyed glance my way.

Aunt Iftar chuckles, “I appreciate your concern for my pride, but that is not your worry.”

Or your business. I want to add, turning away and swinging my legs.

He glances at me, then bows his head, “Sorry, khala Iftar.” He turns to me and says, “Do whatever you like.” With that, he leaves the room.

God, I want to hiss at him. I want to hiss so badly. But for the sake of avoiding trouble, I just unfold my legs.

“You might be an option now, but you won’t remain so forever.” She says, the running fan overhead blowing a side of her pink niqab.

I nod. Although I’m yet to register for the program Uyoon suggested, and aside from my lack of experience on becoming her assistant, I really don’t mind the offer. Aunt Iftar runs an NGO that provides funds for female business owners in rural areas. So working in a field like that is more of an honour. Also, as much as I don’t want to admit it, this is a lifesaver from what could have happened. So I’d be a fool not to accept.

“I have already decided that I will accept the job.” I say.

“Was that before or after your husband’s involvement?”

“Before o. I agree with you on trying new things.”

She nods, “Alright then. We leave by 07:00 A.M. tomorrow.” She stands, “Be ready before me.”

Ah!

“So what did you guys decide?” Badr says as I enter the bedroom. I head over to the wardrobe to pick out what to wear on my first day.