Twenty-Nine:I'll Think About It

Aisha Kabiru

Coming to Kano feels like I never left. Everything seems just as I left it. But then it’s not like I was away for a year or anything. Still, I expected it to feel different, like me.

When we arrive at Naibawa park, I quickly join the driver at the back of the bus to get my bags. Thankfully, I came with only one big box.

Once I get it, another hand holds the bag. I look up and see a bearded man shining teeth as if we know each other.

“Me haka? What is the meaning of this?”

“Haba hajiya, taimakonki zanyi fa. I just want to help you.”

I hiss, “Dan ka ganni helpless ko? Dan Allah.” I yank the bag away.

“Ikon Allah,” a female voice pipes in. Walida appears beside me in a long brown hijab. “Aisha, daga zuwa?”

I hiss, “Toh, did I send him message?”

The man folds his hands, staring at me. “Toh, Allah ya huci zuciyarki.” He raises his hands. “Na barku lafiya.”

“Kayi hakuri, Dan Allah.” Walida apologizes to him. She turns to me, looking fairer and plumper than before. “Ke kuma wuce before I push you. Sai kin nuna halinki. You just had to show yourself.”

I hiss and trek out of the park. I see the red Toyota Camry I’ve been seeing on Walida’s insta posts. I turn to her. “Asshe gaskiya ne. So it’s true.” I laugh.

She raises her hand as if hit me. She unlocks the car and we climb in.

“Gaskiyane kawata.” I hail her, running my hands down the shiny leather seats. I lean back and inhale the sweet car freshener.

She starts to drive, slowly, smoothly.

“This car fits you o.” I say, looking around again like a village girl.

“Yes na, I picked it myself.”

I eye her. “So you and Shamsu are lovers for life, ko? But bana ganinshi a posts dinki. I don’t see him in your posts.”

“Oh, didn’t I tell you? He’s out of the country.” She says with a wink.

My eyes widen. “Kice wallahi!” I don’t believe her one bit.

“Just kidding, but he’s out of town sha.”

“Toh, jindadi.” I back the window to face her fully. There’s something running through mind as I scan her face.

Jealousy? Never!

“So what about his boss lady?”

“What about her?” Walida asks, eyes on the road.

“Are they still working together?”

“Yep. Business is booming, Alhamdulillah.”

I watch her, waiting for her to continue, to complain.

She turns to me, smiling, “My marriage keeps getting sweeter and sweeter. Alhamdulillah.”

I eye her, “Zamu gani dai. We shall see.”

Walida laughs but it sounds like mockery. I ignore her and clear my throat. I would soon rub that smug from her face.

We arrive at aunty Ladi’s house. As the gate opens, aunty Ladi stands beside the gateman, smiling.

As I climb out, she quickly hugs me. “I couldn’t believe it when you told me. Even Yaya Ha-“ Her eyes widen, then she clears her throat.

But I smile, “Your brother was around when we talked?”