Thirty: Before she gets worse

Barakah Muhammad

When I get back from school, Aliyah treats me like her friend, she even asks me what we did in school. I want to ask her about her strange behavior in the morning. But her smile and energy made me forget.

The next day, she resumes school with me. We even hold hands after getting out of the car. Seeing Aliyah happy makes me happy too.

After assembly, Aliyah follows me to my class, still holding my hand. When I reach my seat, she asks, “Barakah?”

“Na’am?” I sit and turn to her.

“Don't go out for break. Wait for me.”

“Okay.”

“Why?” A female voice asks.

I see Brianna standing behind Aliyah. “Why should she wait for you? Are you her mother?”

I want to say something, but Aliyah beats me, “None of your business.” She says and leaves the class.

Brianna watches her, then she sits beside me. “She doesn’t have any right to tell you what to do.”

I shrug, “maybe she wants us to buy lunch together.”

“Bullshit.” She says, hitting her textbook on the table.

I move back, surprised. Brianna sighs. “Sorry. I’m not really in a good mood. My mom annoyed me.”

I nod, “moms can be like that.”

Brianna faces the board. "I hate it.”

I remember hating mommy’s behavior before. But not anymore. I know she’s human, so she’s not perfect. “It’s part of her love for you.” I say, nodding again.

Brianna looks at me, then sighs. “My anger is also part of my love for her.” She smiles.

I shake her shoulders and we laugh. The bell rings for the first period.

Later, the bell rings for the last time. “Don't forget. Friday is the last day for your payment. After that, latecomers will pay extra.”

“Yes sir.” We reply.

Brianna glares at the back of Mr Bayo’s head as he leaves the class. She hisses, “nye nye nye, see his head. All he knows is how to extort money from students.”

I laugh. “How do you know?”

“Mimi told me. He also taught them Intro Tech in Jss 3. She said that he refused to allow them buy the materials themselves. Only for them to find out that the prices he gave them were two times more than the original one.” She hisses again.

I frown. “Shouldn't we report?”

“To who?” She stands. “Please wait for me. Let me use the restroom.”

I nod and put my books inside my bag. Then I grab her bag and do the same.”

“Barakah?” I hear Aliyah’s voice. She’s standing at Brianna’s side of the seat, frowning.

“Hey,” I smile.

“School has closed. Let's go.”

“I’m waiting for Brianna.” I say, patting her bag.

“Why? Does she live in the same area with us?”

“No, but we always leave the school together.”

Aliyah hisses and folds her arms. “That’s because I was not around. But now I’m back. So, let's go.”

I shake my head. “You know Brianna is my friend too, right?”