chapter five

It was odd, to be at Dragonstone at first. Tarley unpacked his stuff and looked over his room, his body tense. His skin felt wrong, he was unsure of what to do. He stood there, in the middle of the room.

Jace and Luke were still unpacking, still unaware. Unaware of a lot of things going on.

Tarley had seen Rhaenyra receive the raven. He saw her read it over and over again, saw her break down.

(Tarley was always close to her, he hugged her tightly as he caught a glimpse of the letter.

Strong dead.

Harwin was dead.)

It took a while, for him to hear a knock on his door. He watches as his mother walks in, her eyes and nose red. She had been crying.

"Tarley..." she said softly. "Do you know where your brothers are my sweet boy?"

"Are they not in their rooms mother?" he asked confused.

It was then when he heard them running into his room, pausing at the sight of their mother.

"Mother?" Jace asked softly.

Tarley sees, as she struggles to smile as she looks at them.

"Is something the matter?" Jace asks.

Always inquestive, always knowing what to say. Rhaenyra was hesitating. That's when Tarley knew, she didn't know how to tell them.

He would have told them himself, taken the burden from his mother but, he also knew better.

He watched her take in a deep breath and she sat them down on his bed. Tarley stayed in the middle, holding onto Luke and watched as Rhaenyra turned over the words in her head.

They had only been on Dragonstone for a day.

"Ser Harwin..." she started. "A fire broke out in Harenhall."

Luke tightened his grip on his hand. Jace sat up.

"Ser Harwin and his father... they passed away."

It was odd, having to watch Jace and Luke breakdown over hearing the news. They scrambled to Rhaenyra and held onto her. Tarley couldn't find it in himself to go to her as well, to invade their moment.

He got off his bed and under guise, told them he was going to get them something. He wandered around Dragonstone for a bit, giving his mother and brothers privacy.

He didn't belong in that moment.

He had gone to hidden alleyway. It was near the beach. It is then, when he heard something. For a second, Tarley stayed still before decieding to check what it was. He moves slowly and quietly through the sand. It was then, that he saw what was making the noises.

He froze at the sight but scrambled away fast, nearly tripping over his feet as he ran back to his room.

His father and Ser Quarl.

He slowed down when he felt that the air was punishing his lungs. He took in shallow breaths as he stood in the middle of the hallway. He stayed silent the rest of the way back to his room. He opened his door slowly and watched as Rhaenyra looked at him. He paused for a mooment and took in the sight.

Jace and Luke were asleep in her arms, on his bed.

"Come here sweet boy," she whispered.

Tarley took off his shoes and climbed into his bed. He gave Rhaenyra a soft kiss on her cheek and went to lay down next to Luke. He wondered, is his mother knew of his father.

He couldn't ask at that moment.

With his body and mind tired, he fell asleep.

-

He woke up with the sun setting, Rhaenyra still in the room with them. He got up slowly, whispering to her that he'll go get them something from the kitchen and made his way to them.

He asked a knight to help him make his way, asked a handmaiden to help him carry everything. He set everything on his bedside table and thanked the handmaiden for her help. He helped Rhaenyra wake up his brothers and the four of them ate together.

Rhaenyra leaves them later that night, kissing all of them on the top of their heads. He offers his brothers to spend the night in his room and they accept. He sneaks into the kitchens, taking some cakes for them when he hears his fathers cries. He pauses for a moment before deciding to sneak closer.

That's when he hears his father clearer.

"No," he sobs. "Not my sister. Not my little sister."

He could hear someone -- he assumes it's Ser Qural -- comforting his father. He makes his eay back to his brothers.

He couldn't imgaine loosing any of them. He isn't sure if he would survive losing them so soon. He gives them a soft smile when he enters his room. He kisses the tops of their heads as he gives them their cakes. He holds them in his arms as the drift off to sleep. He whispers to himself in the dark, that he will protect them.

He closes his eyes again, falling asleep with his brothers with him.

AUTHOR NOTE: word count in the silly 835 words.

erm free tarley 😁🤞 little man already fighting demons w himself. so silly !! v much the same day that they moved into dragonstone btw... like... the same day...

i posted on my priv. twt ant tarley walking in on laenor and quarl nd it made me giggle. this man is twelve !! lowkey crushing on aemond and then ?? his dad ?? is ??? gay ?? shocker nd lowkey opens his eyes.

tarley looking at rhaenyra: do yk...?

rhaenyra: do u...?

lowkey the scene in friends where joey and rach figure out they know abt monica and chandler.

also ?? the silly "he whispers to himself in the dark that he will protect them." hehe.. hehehehe.

srry for the chapter being late !! was out all day yesterday 😞

see u nxt week !!
chapter five is set inbetween season i episodes vi and vii