5 - A Night In Kaya's Mansion

— 5 —

The grand dining room was bathed in a soft, golden glow from the elegant chandeliers overhead. The long mahogany table was set with fine china, gleaming silverware, and crystal glasses, reflecting the affluence of the mansion's owner. 

The servants moved gracefully between the guests, serving them from silver platters laden with an array of sumptuous dishes. The tantalizing aroma of freshly cooked delicacies wafted through the room, promising a meal to remember.

Shinobu found herself seated between Usopp on her left and Zoro on her right. While she gracefully sampled the dishes placed before her, she couldn't help but notice the stark contrast in dining etiquette between her and the men on either side of her.

To her left, Usopp seemed genuinely interested in the flavors, often commenting on the nuances of each dish, and occasionally sharing tidbits about meals he'd had on his journeys. Meanwhile, on her right, Zoro seemed more engrossed with the wine than the food. With each empty glass, he'd gesture for a refill.

Across the table, Luffy was a sight to behold. His approach to the dinner was nothing short of enthusiastic, with every dish, no matter how elegantly presented being consumed at a pace that suggested he hadn't eaten in weeks. His delight was evident, but the grace and decorum expected at such a dinner were lost on him.

Nami is ignoring the boys so Shinobu did the same after assessing them.

When Kaya, looking ever so elegant in her sunflower dress, made a modest request, the room's attention shifted to her. 

"I'd love to try the fish tonight," she said with hope in her eyes. 

Klahadore, with an air of strict authority immediately shot her request down. "I'm sorry, Miss Kaya, but that is not possible."

"Maybe just a small piece?" she pressed, her tone soft yet persistent.

"Now, you know that certain foods can affect your constitution," the butler reasoned, almost sounding like a parental figure admonishing a child. "Here, Buchi has prepared your special soup."

As Buchi presented the blue-colored soup to Kaya, it was clear from her face that she was less than pleased.

"Kaya, it's your birthday. You should be able to eat what you want," Nami remarked empathizing with the young lady.

Shinobu, picking up on the sentiment, chimed in, "A special day calls for special choices. Just a little wouldn't hurt, right?" Her tone was understanding, a gentle nudge against Klahadore's rigidity.

The room grew tenser with Klahadore's defense of his strict regimen for Kaya. "Miss Kaya's medical condition necessitates that I closely monitor her dietary needs," he stated firmly, trying to retain his authority in front of the guests.

Nami, not one to back down shot him a sharp glare. "Does it mean you also speak for her?"

Shinobu, her posture relaxed but her eyes piercing, took a deliberate sip of her tea, "Seems like you're the one forgetting who your lady is."

A tangible tension enveloped the room, with silent challenges being thrown through pointed glares. All except Luffy raised his hand, blissfully unaware, "I'll take her fish."