7 - Going Merry

— 7 —

Luffy's formidable silhouette filled the doorway, his eyes fiercely focused on Kuro, "These are my friends. You don't get to mess with them."

Kuro smirked, sliding his glasses back into place with the back of his palm, "You are annoyingly resilient."

Luffy flashed his signature grin, "Well, I am made of rubber."

Seizing the moment of Kuro's distraction with Luffy, Shinobu moved quickly. She beckoned Nami and Kaya silently, signaling them towards Usopp. As they hurriedly moved, she darted low, reclaiming her katana in a smooth, practiced motion. Sensing her, Kuro tried to counter, but his reaction was a beat too slow. With precision, Shinobu sprang forward, landing beside him. 

She then turn to Luffy and asked, "Need a hand with him?"

He grinned and confidently said, "I'll handle him. Protect the others." 

Shinobu offered a swift nod and replied, "On it."

Shinobu leaped and gracefully landed in front of Nami, Kaya, and Usopp, her stance firm and protective. They huddled behind her, recalling their earlier attempt at intervention— a memory that still stung with regret.

Their attention was pulled back to the central combat. Initially, Luffy seemed outmatched by Kuro's blinding speed and lethal claws. But even so, Shinobu's faith in Luffy remained unwavering. She knew he had a few tricks up his sleeve, and it wouldn't be long before he turned the tides in his favor.

Kaya's voice trembled slightly, "Shouldn't we assist him?" She glanced towards Nami, who in turn observed Shinobu. The warrior remained poised, every muscle taut and ready, eyes locked onto Kuro in case he redirected his assault towards them.

Shinobu responded, her voice steady, "If Luffy believes he can handle Kuro, then trust in him." Kaya bit her lip, clearly wanting to aid Luffy, yet aware of her own limitations. Any wrong move could make them liabilities in the battle.

Nami watched Shinobu with newfound admiration. She had witnessed Shinobu's combat prowess before— effortlessly taking down Marines without even drawing her unique, needle-tipped blade. And while Nami had initially been skeptical of Shinobu's capabilities, especially when matched against Kuro, the sparks that erupted whenever their blades clashed told a different story. She recalled their encounter in Orange Town with Buggy; the memory was hazy due to the darkness and Shinobu's rapid movements. But now, in this battle, Nami could see every swift, deliberate move made by the agile fighter. It was mesmerizing and terrifying in equal measure.

As the battle settled, it was clear Luffy had triumphed over Kuro, using his signature 'Gum Gum Bell' move to propel Kuro out of the scene.

Usopp couldn't contain his excitement, shouting, "Whoo!" 

Shinobu, with a sense of satisfaction, sheathed her katana, "Now add the 'We defeated Kuro from the Black Cat Pirates' to our achievement list." she declared with a smirk. Luffy responded with his trademark grin, giving her a thumbs-up.

"We should ensure he's incapacitated for good," Kaya interjected, a note of caution in her voice. All eyes turned to Shinobu as she chuckled softly.

"He won't be stirring for a while," she assured, a playful glint in her eyes. "I gave him a taste of his own medicine earlier. He'll be out cold for an hour or two."

Luffy's eyes widened in admiration. "That's awesome!" he exclaimed. Shinobu smiled warmly, "By the way, Luffy, how's Zoro doing?"

A weighty silence followed her query, with everyone's attention riveted on Luffy. Breaking into a grin, he replied, "He's probably taking on those two sidekicks."