Chapter 1: Nora

New beginnings, that's what I need for this year. A fresh start where no one knows me. That way, I can be a better version of myself, one that no one has seen before.

Tomorrow I start at a new school. Helene Aramina School. I can't really say I'm excited, but I had to get away from my past life.

My dad is a lawyer with his own notorious firm. So, when he saw the bruise that my ex boyfriend left on my neck after trying to choke me, he went ballistic. He sued the kid and his family, earning him a case in abuse.

Trust me, when it became clear that I was in an abusive relationship, I tried to break up with him. Before that, I was blinded with everything he said to me.

You're not good enough.

You should be honored I'm dating you.

You can never do anything right, can you?

Who could ever love a slut like you?

It was like I was in a trance, believing every word he said. I only noticed it was abusive when he tried to choke me. If it wasn't for that act of violence, I probably would still be with him.

Sure, he slapped me a few times, but after that came a million apologies and presents. He promised me it was an accident and that he would never do it again. As no shocker to anyone, it happened again.

But now, I am in a new place. Away from the damage that he made on me. Away from the shame that I felt when I finally had the courage to tell my dad.

My dad raised me on his own at twenty. My mother wanted nothing to do with me, so he took the weight of raising me alone. Although he is a single father, I have never felt the loss of a mother. Only having a dad is all I've ever known. Why should I mourn something that never existed in my life?

For my sake, he moved his Firm to the UK. When he said we were moving I thought he meant a few towns over, but he actually meant across the world.

I didn't mind. I only had a few friends in New York and they turned against me when the trials happened. They didn't want to associate with someone like me. That means that leaving the states behind was not a chore.

Now, Helene Aramina School, or HAS as people call it, is waiting for me. It is one of the most expensive schools in the world, harboring thousands of elite children. Kids of businessmen, politicians, actors, lawyers, and anything high profile.

Honestly, the thought of having to socialize with those rich kids that are probably snobby doesn't appeal to me. But I am trying to stay with an open mind for this new phase in my life.

I go downstairs to find daddy sitting at the kitchen table, holding a stack of papers. When he noticed me, an easy smile guided itself onto his lips.

"Hey, honey." He greets, taking off the black framed glasses that has to wear in order to read. "I was thinking you could order takeout. Meanwhile, Melony can figure out how this new kitchen works. She says the plugs are weird."

Melony is the woman who cooks for us. She's been around since I was three and was eager to move with us to the UK. She doesn't have a family and has always wanted to live in Europe. So, it's a win-win situation.

"What should I order?" I ask, pulling out my phone, ready to call the place.

My dad stops, as if he's thinking really hard on what he wants to eat. "How about burgers? A little bit of home, right?"

I laugh a little, googling the best burger place in London. A few appear, but I decided on the closest one. I call the number and order five burgers, one for each person in the house and extra for dad when he gets hungry in the middle of the night. Although Mel works for us, she has never been treated as less than.