Chapter Five

I didn't know how long I slept, but it had been blissfully dream-free. Or at least, I didn't remember any. For the first time in six years.

I took my time bathing and getting dressed. I felt no tug directing me to a certain dress. My hands found their way to a simple shirt and trousers, still black but the shirt was shot through with silver thread, and I put them on of my own volition.

The trousers were tight, wrapping around my legs like a second skin, and made of a thick material, like canvas only softer and more pliable, doing up with a button and zip. The shirt – more blouse – was soft and, while it clung to the top half of my breasts, it billowed gently against my stomach and waist, undefining but still making me feel feminine. The sleeves went to my wrists, ending in tight cuffs each with three pearl buttons. I found a pair of socks and boots and pulled them on, not particularly thinking about escape, but it never hurt to be better prepared than barefoot.

Curious at the lack of command propelling my actions, I went to my bedroom door and reached for the doorknob. There was no resistance. My fingers brushed the cold metal. Tangible. Strong.

I wrapped my hand around it cautiously. Still no resistance.

I turned the knob. Still no resistance.

I pulled the door open. Still no resistance.

The hall beyond was bathed in light, my eyes always needing a moment to adjust after the relative calm dimness in my room. I stuck my head out. Still no resistance.

I took an almost comically large step, sticking one leg through the portal. Still no resistance.

I stepped out and there was just me. No magical presence hurrying me along the corridors to the dining room or shoving me back into my room. Nothing.

Just me.

And...freedom?

I turned away from the usual path to the dining room and wandered. The hall was just more of the same until I came to a darkened set of wooden steps. Darkness peered up at me and I felt a twinge of uncertainty deep in my stomach. But I wasn't going to let that stop me exploring. Maybe, if there was no geas command, Dain wasn't even home. Maybe now was my chance to find a way out.

I went down into the dark, telling myself that the Voidsworn lived in this darkness, so how bad could it really be?

I scoffed at myself, just at the thought.

I was basically all human, compared to these sidhe at least. The darkness could be very, very bad for me. Still, no worse than being forced to dance every night for the amusement of sidhe whose idea of encouragement and interest was apathetic boredom.

So, I told myself I'd be fine, glad that the human blood in me allowed me to lie all too freely. I felt the tug of my fae heritage every time I did lie, but it never outright stopped me from doing it. More like a bland chastisement from a parent who knows the endeavour is useless. The discomfort had never been enough to make me more careful or crafty with my words the way the sidhe were.

As I descended into the inky depths, I wondered if, had I bothered to learn, it would have put me in better stead with finding the true meanings of fae words. Perhaps if I hadn't spent so much time crafting myself into an expert thief and sneak, I would have been better prepared for what was now the rest of my life.

And I was by no means going to fall for this morning's little trick. Dangle some freedom at me, Dain, go on. Remind me of the life I could have for when you take it away again.

"Humanity," I heard the hiss as my foot hit stone and I sort of missed Dain's control. The voice was like pure terror. Like death given voice. Goosebumps broke across my arms and I felt cold for the first time since I'd walked into Dain's home.