Chapter Seven

"You favour trousers, then?" Dain asked me at lunch.

I looked up at him as though he should really know the answer to that but that, simultaneously, it was irrelevant to him what the answer was. He cracked a wicked grin.

"Are you concerned about your control around me were you to have so much easier access?" he teased, cocking his head. "Is that why you haven't touched your dresses?"

I mean, yes, but I wasn't going to admit that to him. "I can choose my clothing without having you in mind."

He sat back as he twirled his glass in his fingers. The dexterity. The power. My traitorous body didn't hesitate to wonder what they'd feel like all over it.

"You learn quickly," he said, pride dripping from his voice. "Not a lie...but not the truth either."

"Perhaps I just want to be ready in case escape is ever an option?" I shot back.

He barked a short laugh. "By all means, try it now." The dining room doors swung open invitingly. I was just about to stand up when his eyes narrowed and he continued, "See how far you get when you're out there without my protection."

I swallowed. Hard. "I got halfway through your forest without seeing anything but you and the Febren. I think I'll be fine."

He smirked. "It is not my forest. And...it hadn't tasted you then." His eyes flickered over me, and I knew what he was thinking; it involved tasting me.

"Yeah? Well, it'll be the only thing...tasting me," I said, not sounding at all believable.

The humour made those dark eyes shine. "Honesty, Yana. I thought we'd agreed it was best?"

I blew out heavily. "I hate you." It was starting to be a pathetic comeback, but I could hardly let him have the last word.

"Good," he answered simply before draining his wine. "I'd hate to think I'd become so soft that you fell in love with me before we fucked."

My jaw clenched. I couldn't tell him it was never going to happen. I didn't want him to turn around and call it out for the big lie I was scared it would be. So, I had to hide behind arrogance and defiance.

"If you're soft before we fuck, then I doubt me falling in love with you is going to be a risk."

Except, of course. He was fae. Those bastards got off on arrogant defiance as much as sweet words and bare flesh. "I can say with absolute certainty, that it has been very hard being around you these last weeks."

My stupid human cheeks flushed. It wasn't embarrassment, though I was sure he'd be happy to see it that way. "Well, I can say with absolute certainty," I said, "that my time here has been quite a dry experience." Two could play at word games.

Another smirk. Dain leant forward on the table, his eyes pinning mine. "Bravo. Not one word of a lie." He sat back again, much too nonchalant as he looked anywhere but me. "Did you know, Yana, that fae can sense arousal?" His nose tipped to the air like he was able to smell it on me now. The way his eyes snapped to me, full of feral glee, I didn't doubt that he could. "It – usually – makes things so much easier."

I pushed myself up from the table and I felt that geas command tug. He was thinking about forcing me to stay. He was a heartbeat away from forcing me back into my seat.

Then the pressure fell away, and he just poured himself another wine. "I have business this afternoon," he said as though saying 'I do hope you can entertain yourself, dear'. "I will see you at dinner."

I gave him a small nod and made myself walk out of there at a stately pace. I felt his eyes on me the whole way, felt them caressing my body, and knew there had been a disturbingly small amount of time since I'd met him that I hadn't been aroused at least a little bit. Because how could I not? Between Dain and Venali. Even Ninleyn and Nephinae were distractingly beautiful.