Ch. 1 - Intrigue of The Mind

Note: Enjoy! <3

Quick, quick, gotta catch it.

The echo of a gunshot followed by footsteps rang through the empty woodland.

An ever-so-slight scent of iron from blood wafted through the chilling air as you did your best to keep up with the trail before the fresh snowfall faded it altogether.

You clutched your jacket close to your body and kept your eyes on the trail.

The snowfall was quickly picking up due to the cold winds from the mountainside, causing you to shiver and blink the fresh snowflakes out of your eyes.

The trail was quickly being covered and you did your best to push yourself to go faster, stumbling slightly over the branches and vines that seemed to fight against you with every step you took.

"Dammit.." You muttered under your breath.

You'd lost sight of the trail, the snowfall was increasing with every minute and you knew it'd be wiser to turn around and go back to the small village to warm up before you ended up lost.

You quickly darted your eyes around the trees, huffing as you catch no glimpse of movement or disturbance.

Almost as if the lonely deer you were after had just disappeared.

But surely that wasn't possible, right?

Though, you couldn't help but notice how suddenly the trail seemed to stop, and you take one last look into the growing shadows in between the trees that almost taunted you to come closer. You shiver again as a cold breeze sweeps through your veins and you turn around to start back.

Your arrival back to the village was a rather slow one. You had to be watchful and careful not to fall or accidentally hit a trap that other hunters had set up.

Eventually, you broke the tree line and stepped into the busied dirt roads of the old place.

Despite all the years that had gone by, the village had managed to keep its aged and glorified look.

Of course, this had all been a remodel after the old village had been completely demolished by a mysterious explosion that had occurred close by.

With only a few survivors to tell of what happened—and being convinced substantially to keep it under wraps—no one knew of the horrors that had occurred before its remodel and renovation.

No one but you.

Your great-grandmother had told your grandmother, Rosemary, of the sacrifice your great-grandfather had given in order to save the family.

And with time, Rosemary told her own children and your parents passed the story to you when you were old enough to understand it.

Though they always told this story with caution, the family must never return back to the village.

You weren't one for superstitions, so the warning faded within your memories, and you had mostly forgotten the old tale altogether after you had moved out.

Well then, how had you ended up here?

Some would call it a small whisper, a little rumor of a glorious hunting spot, an environment rich in all kinds of game, with wonderful views and a cozy town right in the center.

That caught your attention, a little too fast.

Before long you found yourself treading up the quiet hills and into this village, making yourself comfortable in a cozy rental cabin.