Ch. 2 - Damned Is The Sinner

You barely catch up with her before shes at the end of the double doors leading out of what you guessed was a dining room when she stopped again to let you catch up.

She hardly spares you a half-hearted glance before continuing on, not seeming to be the slightest bit concerned with the current state of the castle.

You do your best to keep up as she zooms up another stairwell and past a door with the words "Wine Room" engraved within the wood when she turned down another hallway and stops.

You finally turn the corner and hear her tsk.

"Why must you be so slow" She said, you could hear the slightly annoyed tone in her voice again as she glared you down.

Before you had time to respond she sped away again through another door and down another hallway.

You catch with her a moment later to see her standing impatiently by yet another door—this one though, was locked and had a familiar looking crest on it— you glance up at the woman before pulling out the partially rusted iron key from your pocket, finding that the crest symbols matched.

"Well..?" The taller woman spoke again.

You sigh, stepping forward and carefully unlocking the gate, pushing it up and opening the door.

You step into the room and she brushes past you again, quickly going up to a portion of the wall, inspecting and pressing her hand to it before it gave way and opened to reveal what was a passageway.

"Interesting.." She muttered more to herself than to anyone else.

"This was different before.. did the castle layout change at all, pest?" She asked you without turning while she pushed through the wall and into some form of secret room.

You nod in silence as you follow her through the passage and into a smaller room, the center of which had a large, half rotted wooden table. It was topped with boxes and a layer of dust that made you cough a few seconds after stepping inside.

You stand idly for a moment and watch as she pulls a face at every new layer on dust she inspects before she stops and reaches into one of the boxes, retrieving an identical strand of fabric to the one the bird had brought you in the kitchen along with a deep yellow gem. She dusts them momentarily of the cobwebs and immediately turns back to you.

You cautiously step over to her, whether it was because you didn't want to fall again or because of the ice-cold gaze she gave you, you weren't sure. Still, you carefully take the gem from her with considerably shaky hands.

"Well?" She asks, obvious impatience hovering in her words.

You stay silent, keeping your eyes on the yellow stone as you piece it within the metal slot attached to the fabric, waiting in anticipation for something to happen.

One second goes by, two seconds, three seconds...

Nothing.

You take a shaky breath and glance up at the taller woman to meet a glare before she reaches for her sickle.

Tensing, you shift your weight, tempted to run before a cold, gloved hand reaches your wrist.

You manage to glance up for a second before catching the gleam of the sickle in the dim candlelight as it falls towards you and you're quick to draw your hand back again when a sharp pain erupts through your arm and wrist, wincing and gritting your teeth as you stifle a cry.

Opening your eyes after the worst of the pain subsides, you see a portion of your hand doused in your own blood from the new gash across your wrist and palm.