Chapter Two: Over the Fence

Bits of metal clanged together as Knight's horse trotted with him on her back down the path ahead. Knight's visor slipped down over his eyes for a moment. The man let out a sharp yelp. He pulled on his horses reins to get her to halt. Knight lifted his visor back up to his forehead, making sure it was in place by pressing in the loose bolt.

"Oh Sugarmane, I have to bring this to the smith's soon I believe," Knight ran his hand over his face, "How is a proper Hollyberrian warrior supposed to be intimidating with a broken headpiece?" He leaned around to look at his horse's face. She shook her head with a snort and Knight nodded as if he understood.

He flipped the reins and they continued on their way. Knight began to speak, unthoughtful, "I wonder what this prince will be like? The last time I rescued a prince, he was quite rude. It kind of put me off the princes, if I'm honest," Sugarmane's tail flicked and Knight laughed, "Quite right. But, I'm still happy to help one. Especially with dragons involved, no one should be subject to such beasts. Rudeness or gratefulness included." He paused, looking to the sky, "I do still hope this one is nicer. Perhaps if he is, we can be friends."

Overhead, Pitaya Dragon flew past Knight. Sugarmane whinnied and reeled back a bit before Knight pulled her back in. He looked as the enshadowed figure darted into the horizon, mouth agape. "The dragon?!" He quickly snapped Sugarmane's reins in the direction of the castle, "Quick, that must mean it's searching for something to pair with its meal! We must get to the prince!"

Sugarmane hoofed it down the path she was directed and Knight leaned a bit more forward, holding the loose bit on his helmet. The castle seemed to grow over the edge of the hill as the pair galloped towards the gate. Knight pulled up on the reins and Sugarmane skidded to a stop, nearly sending her rider off her back. A cloud of dirt kicked up around them.

Waving his hand, Knight looked at the rusty lock on the gate. He hopped off Sugarmane's back, approaching to hold it in his hand. His nose scrunched up in frustration, "Oh filthy," he said, pulling on it. The lock gave no sense of give, "Well there goes the easy way. No kicking in gates for you today, Sugarmane," His horse lowered her head in sadness. "Don't fret!" Knight gingerly held her snout, "I'm sure another mission will entail some badassery. Now just wait here for me, I'll be back with one prince in tow!"

He walked back towards the fence, looking for a crack in the stone. Once he found one, Knight waved over Sugarmane to unhitch one of his lances from her saddle. After fitting the lance into the crack, Knight pressed his hand down on it to test. The lance barely budged. Knight stepped up onto the handle.

He sprung up to the top of the fence. Knight wobbled, outstretching his arms to regain his balance. Eventually he caught himself, looking back down at his horse and giving a thumbs up. Using his free hand to flip the visor of his helmet back down before leaping down the other side of the fence. The heels of his boots trampling the dead bushes below. Knight pat his arms to shake out splinters of dry wood.

"Oh these- abandoned castles," He stepped out of the flowerbed, tearing his cape off one of the branches. Sighing as he continued forward. Knight looked through some of the broken windows - leaning in some. His brows furrowing as each room was lacking the titular prince.

Knight cupped his mouth and called out, "Hello- uh- Prince?" his feet turned him in circles, "Prince- I'm sorry no one told me your name!" He bumped up against the tower. Looking up, his mouth drawing back into an agitated line. "Please don't be up this thing," He muttered to himself, before clearing his throat and calling out again, "Prince?"

Sitting up quicker than a bullet, Fire Spirit readjusted everything about his person before calling back, as sweetly as possible, "Oh yes! Yes! It's me the prince, I'm up here!"

"Shit." Knight let his head hit against the wall.