Prologue

I think this is what they called a parallel.

"Hooooly shit, I got so wasted last night at that kegger. I just threw up, like, everything."

I watched as my roommate stumbled back to her bed from the bathroom with a still half-boned face, collapsing into her bed as she told the tales of her wild adventures last night. Meanwhile, I sat across from her, zipping up my boots, thanking my lucky stars I hadn't gone to that kegger.

"You should've been there, Cassy," She blurted out, grabbing her covers and throwing them over her half-naked body, getting ready to sleep as I was getting ready to leave. "You would've loved it. There were so many hot guys."

I glared dryly at my roommate, but I didn't think she noticed. She had already closed her eyes and was drifting off to sleep. Thank God.

Finishing up with my boots, I grabbed my bag and my jacket and then ventured out the door, leaving behind my sleeping roommate whom no doubt would sleep right through her alarm and miss her class in four hours. Maybe I should've cared, but I just didn't. I wasn't her mommy. I wasn't even sure I was her friend. Or if I wanted to be.

Two months into college, and I had barely survived living with a roommate—Ashley as her name was—who constantly tried to drag me along to parties and frat houses and even a sorority once, but I had declined every time. I thought college would be right up my alley with people my own age, there to learn and to still have a good time, although with the impending doom of failing our classes hanging above us.

But as it turned out, college life wasn't my cup of tea after all.

For two months, I had been miserable, fighting my way through my classes and watching my grades drop with every assignment, while dealing with a roommate I really hated, and yet I pushed on, because if I didn't...

My whole summer would've been all for nothing.

Pressing my lips together as the memories of last summer popped into my mind, I suppressed them and moved on. Instead, I made it to my bike and unlocked it, jumping on and peddling down the street to get to my class in time.

It was for the best, I reminded myself.

After spending an entire summer getting privately tutored by one of the world's most renowned (and people-shy) mathematicians, Harry Devon, I had ended up learning more than I needed. Not just about math, but also about life, and in this case, about how sometimes, even though you thought you had found the right thing for you... it wasn't always meant to be.

And sadly, that also applied to my current situation.

College hadn't been what I expected, but I told myself it was only for a few years, then it was on to another chapter of my life. My classes were tough and the professors were even tougher with their grading, but in the end it would all be worth it. Now more than ever, I felt lucky to have gotten the help I had gotten. If it hadn't been for his help...

There it was again.

Forcing my mind to other thoughts when the pain resurfaced and started clawing at my heart, I stepped in my pedals and shivered out a cold breath that turned white in the frosty morning air.

Summer had long ago ended and we were well on our way into autumn. The leaves had turned brown and red, and the temperatures had chilled down to below freeze point in the mornings and evenings. And yet, I had stubbornly put on my stockings and boots this morning instead of pants, clinging to the memory of warmer days.

Braking up harshly all of a sudden, my mouth dropped to the ground and my bike nearly skidded along the pavement as I rounded the corner of the street and made it to the science building.