Looming Battle

We made our way to Helms deep. I rode in silence at the front of the group. I could feel eyes on me, from those who knew my heritage, wearing a hole in my back.
We came to a halt in the courtyard of Helms Deep. Eowyn ran to meet us there. I dismounted my horse and handed it to a guard.
"So few. So few of you have returned." She said to Theoden.
"Our people are safe. We have paid for it with many lives." He said.
"My Lady" Gimli said as he walked up to Eowyn and removed his helmet. I walked up behind him with Legolas.
"Lord Aragorn, where is he?" She asked.
Gimli choked up as he replied to her.
"He fell." He said.
"Lady Callie is now the Heir of Gondor." Theoden announced.
Eowyn had tears in her eyes as she stared at me, Shock and grief etched on her face.
Legolas took my hand and led me to the hall. He gently washed my face with a rag, removing all evidence of the battle and kneeled before me.
"It will be ok." He told me. I looked at his face, which was full of sadness yet I felt numb.
"My Ada is dead, my Nana is sailing. I'm alone" I told him. He sat next to me and held me while I sat there staring blankly.

———
"Draw all our forces behind the wall. Bar the gate. And set a watch on the surround." Theoden commanded his men. I was walking through the pathways by myself, slowly coming to terms with what had happened.
"Ady- My Lady" a voice broke through my thoughts. Turning I saw one of Theodens advisors.
"Theoden King has asked for your presence in the hall" he said bowing and walking off.
I took a deep breath and straightened my shoulders. Now was time to step into Ada's shoes.
The meeting had not started when I walked into the hall. Not even Theoden was there yet so I sat down in a chair to wait. I succumbed to a restless sleep.

"Arwen.. it is time. The ships are leaving for Valinor. Go now before it is too late." Elrond spoke to the dark haired elf in front of him.
Nana sat up from where she was laying and faced her father.
"I have made my choice." She told him. Elrond walked towards her slowly.
"He is not coming back. Neither is she." Lord Elrond said to Naneth. Pain filled her eyes.
"Why do you linger here when there is no hope?" He questioned firmly.
Nana raised her gaze and looked him in the eyes.
"There is still hope." She whispered, her face downcast with sadness.
My dream changed, I now saw Galadriel standing , speaking. She was sending a message to AdaAdar and I was hearing it.
"The power of the Enemy is growing. Sauron will use his puppet Saruman to destroy the people of Rohan. Isengard has been unleashed. The eye of Sauron now turns to Gondor, the last free kingdom of Men. His war on this country will come swiftly. He senses the ring is close. The strength of the ringbearer is fading. I'm his heart Frodo begins to understand the quest will claim his life. You know this. You have foreseen it. It is the risk we all took. In the gathering dark the will of the ring grows strong. It works hard now to find its way back into the hands of men. Men who are so easily seduced by it's power. The young captain of Gondor has but to extend his hand, take the ring for his own and the world will fall. It is close now. So close to achieving its goal. For Sauron will have dominion over all life on this earth even unto the ending of the world. The time of the Elves is over. Do we leave middle earth to its fate? Do we let them stand alone?" Galadriel said to Elrond.
Her words echoed in my head as I sat up with a gasp. A hand had placed itself on my shoulder, gently shaking me.
"Lady Callie, the meeting is starting." Theoden said to me. I stayed seated in my chair, listening to what the advisors where saying. I could hear people saying something out side of the hall. Drowning out the sounds of the meeting I listened for what was being said by the citizens.
Excited chatter was spreading throughout the people in Helms Deep. Talk that Ada was alive and had ridden into the city.
Legolas stood at the doors waiting to see him. I stayed in the hall, not wanting to be disappointed. My ears picked up the conversation.

"You're late." Legolas said to someone in elvish. Hope grew quickly in my heart.
"You look terrible." He said in common tongue.
Silence followed for a few moments.
"Hannon Le" the man said to Legolas with a voice I knew very well.
The next thing I knew, the doors were pushed open and it was true. My Ada was alive. He walked into the hall and I raced to him slamming him into a hug. I did not care about the mud on him.
"I thought you died. I thought you weren't coming back" I told him.
He hugged me tighter.
"Callie, I will always come back for you." He replied kissing the top of my head.